Rock opinions...

Murph

Reefing newb
I know if I ask 100 people on the web I'm likely to get 100 different answers, but I value the opinions I've seen on this board, so here goes. If you were starting a 120 gallon tank, and had the money, would you start with all live rock (from tbs), or would you go with a % of base rock (marco) and put a small amount of live and be patient with it?? And if you went the base rock, what kind of ratio would you go with? 180 dead / 60 live?? I originally thought that starting with all live rock was the best, but I've seen some people say if they were starting over they'd go with mostly base to begin with.

I would start with all live if I had the cash.
I have heard however, that you can get flat bottom dry rocks. That would be the only thing I'd want dry for.

I'd get dry rock for the internal structure, because it is easier to find pieces that stack easier, and then use live for the outer layer, the part you can actually see.

I wouldnt do mine any different. I bought all cured LR and it shortened my cycle...on the other hand, what reef kid said is always a good option. Buy like 60% cured and 40% dry. Put a few cured as base to seed some of the dead LR on bottom then use the remainder of the cured to be the face of your structure so its not all white while u look at it? Its totally on you. Save money by buying uncured or not is what u need to ask yourself. I totally recomend doing a combo of each but if you have the cash id buy all cured just my 2 cents. GL cant wait to see what ya decide to do, welcome to the site.

Cool... Thanks for the input. I'll probably end up doing 'the package' from tampa bay. Or at least a majority of it that way and sprinkle some dry in for the bases of the structure. It's what I planned on in the beginning but then I read something and started to think otherwise, then changed my mind again, and back and forth 9 or 10 times after that.

I was really happy setting up my whole tank with "the package" when I set my first tank up, if I could have afforded it I would have done the same when I set up my 75 if I could have afforded it.

Hah... I'm going thru the same thing on my lights, but I think I've finally decided on that so I figured I'd leave that out. I finally bought my sump, and next weekend I think I'm ordering the RO/DI and Skimmer, then I'll start working on the sump chambers and all that. Buying a few things every month leading up to the big purchases later this summer.

If money is not an issue, go with all live rock. When I set up my 240, I started with 600 lbs of live rock. $$$$$$. I shouldn't have done that... :(

Thanks all. Money's definitely a factor, but when I started seriously planning this out I figured in the tbs package so I don't think the wife will freak. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be something I'd regret, and from everyone's replies I don't think I will. I think I'm settled on just about everything now which is good. Moving the freshwater tank and some minor construction to support the saltwater is next on the agenda...

Back