Rock

Kfeezy

Reefing newb
I have been thinking of making rock for my 180g tank and was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing this and was it worth the time/money and did it look good?

There's another user on here WontonFlip, she made her own rocks for her tank. You can PM her for more info. I do know that when you make your own rocks it takes a very long time to cure them.

I considered making my own rock, but after looking at a lot of DIY rock on another forum, I realized that 9/10 times, it just doesn't look too hot. Dry rock can be pretty cheap to get if you search around (like irensing said, I went to reefrocks.net and had a wonderful experience) - I can't imagine making the amount I bought for much cheaper.

I spent around $25 in materials, and around 3 months of curing time and came up with some awesome rocks :D

https://www.livingreefs.com/diy-base-rock-la-garf-t19017.html

I am actually going to make more before this summer is up. I will skip using the salt though. While it makes the rock extremely porous, it also makes the rock weaker. So if anything, make rocks w/o salt for the base, and stack the less sturdy rocks on top. My garf rocks are pretty much the color of my other rocks now. Well worth it, IMO!!

i recently made about 40# of base rock and will make lots more. they came out really nice, but like Wontonflip said, they have to soak for a considerable amount of time. if you want to PM me , i will tell you how i made mine.

Back