Rock.

kbuser92

Breeder
Sorry this is the wrong section, I couldnt guess where else to put this. Maybe a mod will move it.

Anyways, I got a couple dry rock pieces from a friend whos moving and I was wondering if I should soak them in saltwater for a day or 2 before putting them in my tank. I know they were dry when she bought them because they were going in freshwater and theyve also been out of water for months. Should I maybe just rinse them with RODI water real quick and toss them in? Or am I being irrational?

As always, thanks ladies and gentlemen.

So just mix up a gallon (theyre small) and set up my 10? Im moving my 5.5 to a 10 so could I just put them in after the sandstorm when I move everything else?

Okay, so you have a small tank and your moving to a slightly bigger tank. MY SUGGESTION:

Remove rock and anything else loose from small tank. Place in bucket of fresh salt water. Remove water, and save it, from the small tank. Pour sand from small tank to new tank. Place old rock, new rinsed rock into new tank. Put old water from small tank into new tank. Mix another new batch of saltwater and top off new tank. Set up all equipment on new tank. Wait, wait, wait. Make sure it cycles if it is going to before adding any life to it. It SHOULD either have a small cycle and possibly no cycle. The only way to know for sure it to wait it out.

Good luck!

Im going to set up the 10 for the contest with new aragonite and put that rock in after I rinse it, seed the tank and wait a few days for it to clear and then add the rest of the from the 5 via syphon and move all stock and the remaining rock.

I wish I could make a 10 gallon set up. It wouldnt really cost a whole lot. but all the money i am getting for this hobby is going into my 55:)

While rinsing would proabably be sufficient, if there is no hurry I would play it a little safer and soak the rocks for a few days in RO/DI water - if they're dry it doesnt even have to be saltwater

It's perfectly safe to put base rock in an established tank. Won't cause issues, since nothing is dying off...bacteria will just propogate on it, making it live. But it's good to at least rinse it to get rid of dust or whatever.

If you have a sump, just toss your rock in there if you want to cycle it. Otherwise, just save the water you remove from the tank during a water change in a bucket, put your rocks in there w/ a heater and powerhead. I don't see why you need to make new water. At least the old water will have gunky stuff that will turn into ammonia, thus starting your cycle.

Back