Rocks and sand questions

Captain Ron

Reefing newb
The slowest tank build known to man proceeds slowly along.

So I had ordered my rocks from BRS back when I thought I was going to have a smaller tank. I have exactly 35lbs (I weighed it) for a 37 gallon tank. (30"x22"x11.5") LxHxW

I have attached a picture of the aquascaping attempt below.
Its largest dimensions are 26"x15.5"x9.5"

I think the rock is fairly porous. Do you think it is enough rock? I don't like the idea of cutting or drilling the rock, so these are the pieces as I received them.

Would something like the bonding/mortar from marco rocks be a good thing to hold everything together? I would bond outside the tank and insert the rock structure in two pieces.(I have a support across the top middle of the tank so I can't put it in all as one piece.)

If I shouldn't use that bonding/mortar, what do you recommend I use to secure the rocks? I am paranoid of somehow the rocks falling and breaking the tank.

Lastly, does anyone have specific recommendations for sand? I haven't decided what exactly I will have in the tank other than at least a clown or two and 2 shrimp, maybe a few small hermit crabs.

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, or words of wisdom.

-Captain Ron

Attachments

• aquascape.jpg
    aquascape.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,733
Last edited:
The slowest tank build known to man proceeds slowly along.

-Captain Ron

:mrgreen:

Take all the time you need! Its the slow patient one that ends up with the best looking tank!

You can use superglue to hold the rock-work together.

Another thing that I heard recently, (I havent tried this) is to silicone the rocks together. Since you are starting dry and placing them in the tank afterwards it might work.

Good luck!

You can use the epoxy putting sticks from the plumbing section at the hardware store. If they say they are safe for potable water and don't contain metal, you are good to go. If you want something less permanent, use zip ties to secure the rocks together -- fast, easy and can be cut if you want to rearrange them (which 99% of us end up doing at some point).

In a smaller tank, I would stick with an inch or two of aragonite sand. That equals out to be about 1 to 2 lbs per gallon.

Be sure to put the rocks in the tank first -- then the sand. You want the rocks sitting on the bottom of the tank. If you place the rocks on top of the sand, they are prone to rock slides as the sand shifts beneath them.

Back