RODI system confusion

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
Happy New Year. Since we have our 90 reef up with a 40 gallon sump/refugium, new protein skimmer, and heater, we are looking into a RO or RODI system. I think I understand that an RO system is not sufficient for a reef tank. I need a RODI system.
Is that correct?

How many stages of filtration is recommended?
I need to keep it on the low end of the spectrum. If I need to spend more than $150, I'll wait.
Should I mix my RODI with reef salts and have some on hand for emergency water changes? If so, what is a good rule of thumb as far as gallons goes?

Thanks for the help.
Angie

my coralife 4 stage unit was close to that range, think it's great. 4 stage unit , dont know what others think of this unit, but thats what I have. I learned not to trust lfs's ro water, unless you have a test kit, never really know what your getting. Think I paid maybe 175 for mine, in the long run, great investment. If not well water make sure carbon is fists chamber to remove chlorine. Correct me if i'm wrong

I split a good one with a local reefer friend of mine, if there's a local club see if someone is interested in selling water too...

Hello,
Happy New Year. Since we have our 90 reef up with a 40 gallon sump/refugium, new protein skimmer, and heater, we are looking into a RO or RODI system. I think I understand that an RO system is not sufficient for a reef tank. I need a RODI system.
Is that correct?

How many stages of filtration is recommended?
I need to keep it on the low end of the spectrum. If I need to spend more than $150, I'll wait.
Should I mix my RODI with reef salts and have some on hand for emergency water changes? If so, what is a good rule of thumb as far as gallons goes?

Thanks for the help.
Angie

Hi Angie. Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:
  • No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
  • Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
  • Brand name, high-rejection membrane
  • Specifications provided for each stage
  • Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
  • Thermometer
  • TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
  • DI bypass
  • Vertical DI stage
  • Refillable DI cartridge
  • Rust-proof bracket
  • Quick connect fittings
  • No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
  • Flush valve
  • Clear housings
  • High-quality instructions written in clear English
  • Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
  • A vendor involved in your hobby
If $20 or $30 will make or break your decision, consider spending a little more but buying an RODI system that will send RO water to a drinking water faucet on your kitchen sink - that sort of system will pay for itself very quickly if you are buying bottled water.

Russ

Hi Angie. Here are some things to look for in a good system for this hobby:
  • No more than 4 stages (sediment, carbon, RO, DI) unless you have specific water quality issues you want to address
  • Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
  • Brand name, high-rejection membrane
  • Specifications provided for each stage
  • Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
  • Thermometer
  • TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
  • DI bypass
  • Vertical DI stage
  • Refillable DI cartridge
  • Rust-proof bracket
  • Quick connect fittings
  • No water from pressurized storage container delivered to DI
  • Flush valve
  • Clear housings
  • High-quality instructions written in clear English
  • Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
  • A vendor involved in your hobby
If $20 or $30 will make or break your decision, consider spending a little more but buying an RODI system that will send RO water to a drinking water faucet on your kitchen sink - that sort of system will pay for itself very quickly if you are buying bottled water.

Russ

Russ,
Is there a particular system that you would recommend that fits the above guidelines within the $150-200 range at the most? I think I will hook it up in my laundry sink.

What are the pressurized containers that are sold for RODI systems?

Do I need a pump in addition?

I do not understand these accessory items.

I will have to do sell off some coral frags and finish some sewing/embroidery projects before I can buy. That will probably make my target date for purchase the end of January.

Thanks,
Angie

Russ,
Is there a particular system that you would recommend that fits the above guidelines within the $150-200 range at the most? I think I will hook it up in my laundry sink.

What are the pressurized containers that are sold for RODI systems?

Do I need a pump in addition?

I do not understand these accessory items.

I'm more than a little biased when it comes to recommending a brand of RODI, so I'll sidestep that question in hopes of avoiding a commercial post.

The pressure tanks are designed to hold RO (not RODI) drinking water. There are some issues with using these tanks with an RODI system - I can go into that if you are interested.

Most people don't need a pump. The pumps increase the pressure reaching the system - most peole have adequate water pressure in their house.

If you want to give us a call we'd be happy to talk you through all the accessories that you may want/not want.

Russ
513-312-2343

Not going commercial here, but let me say that Buckeye has great customer service. WIthin hours of the system being dropped on my door step THEY called ME to see if I had questions and that it came to me as sold.

I was was skeptical about buying one of these units from anyone. I knew nothing about water quality at all. My sister is an EPA water quality geologist and everything she said went in one ear ond out another. Now I understand! I actually got mine before I stared up my system and am thankful I did. They will not stop issues from developing in your system, but they eliminate several items that will help you track down what could be wrong when things go wrong. (Things WILL go wrong.)

I trust my LFS and the water they sell. I use the same salt and they have good water. I usually keep 5 gallons of theirs on hand just in case I have an emergency. As long as its sealed, it will keep for a long time. I usually use it within 3 months just to keep fresh on hand.

I like this system and it seems like a good bargain.. but does anyone have a recommendation for a RO/DI system with the tank & faucet kit for drinking water? A dual purpose set up would benefit not only my tank but my wallet in the long run bc we go through 2 cases of bottled water a week just about. I would also like to stay in the $150-$175 range. Ive seen a few complete set ups on eBay but Im not sure if they're quality products or if anyone could vouch for them. Thoughts?

eBay - 75gpd RO/DI kit
Dual Outlet Reverse Osmosis Water System 75 GPD Ro Di | eBay

Yeah Brian like that. But more affordable lol. Like I said, they're all over eBay for $150-$175 but idk about the reputability of those systems. Feedback looks good so they seem legit.

Make sure that the system you get doesn't use GAC as a prefilter, has vertical refillable DI. You should avoid a self piercing needle valve as a supply fitting. And make sure the system is plumbed such that RO water from the pressure tank never makes it to the DI. There are lots of mis-plumbed systems on ebay...

Why would you use two taste and odor filters after the storage tank??

Some other things to think about:
Standard-sized prefilters, membrane, and DI cartridge
Brand name, high-rejection membrane
Specifications provided for each stage
Pressure gauge after the prefilters and before the membrane
Thermometer
TDS meter (handheld or in-line)
DI bypass
Vertical DI stage
Refillable DI cartridge
Rust-proof bracket
Quick connect fittings
Flush valve
Clear housings
High-quality instructions written in clear English
Customer support before, during, and after your purchase
A vendor involved in your hobby

Russ

Yeah Brian like that. But more affordable lol. Like I said, they're all over eBay for $150-$175 but idk about the reputability of those systems. Feedback looks good so they seem legit.

You also buy customer service. Is that eBay discount seller going to answer questions and take care of problems should they arise? I understand wanting to save money, but a quality RO system will save you so much over the long run, this isn't a purchase I'd cut corners on

Back