RODI Units

BuddaTurk

Turk of Budda
I wouldn't mind having a RODI unit for personal use, but I am not very handy when it comes to plumbing etc. and I have heard that there is a lot of waste water from these units.

What do you guys recommend for a nice, low cost unit and what do you do with your wastewater?

Thanks,
BT

you can call culligan and they will install one but it will be spendy. and they are really not that hard to put in.

They are very easy to install. My waste water goes down the drain but recently heard that the waste water is very good for watering plants or whatever with so i may start grabbing a few gallons of the waste now and then for that.

You could probably plumb the wastewater into a holding tank and use for just about anything. Might be spendy to set up at first but in time it would pay for itself

I have my wastewater go into my washer about 5 gallons at a time. Then I finish filling up the washer with the tap water, add soap let it swoosh around for a minute then add clothes.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty_Mite_50GPD_with_DI_Added.html
Try this kid its small easy to hook up just take off nozzle and screw it right on when your done unhook it and put it in the closet thats what I do with mine. Its not very fast 3 gal in a couple hours but good enough for a smaller tank. As far as the "waste water" goes The unit has a drain hose that you just hang in the sink or you could save it for what ever.
Its cheap and easy kinda clutters up the sink while your using it but oh well its cheap. I just read you have a 30 gal this would be perfect.

I just submitted two articles, one an article on RO filtration and and the other on DI Filtration (direct ion exchange). The moderators, or who ever, should have it reviewed and posted by tomorrow, I assume.
With small tanks I recommend that people just go to home depot and buy an under counter model and if they have really bad water just add a full sized filter housing with a full sized DI cartridge for around $45. The home RO will only be rated at 25 to 35 gallons per day, but with a small tank that is more than adequate, and it comes with full sized filters not the toy in-line ones that come with the cheaper ebay 6 stage $99 filters. Plus it will have a small holding tank that will give you RO water on tap for drinking, cooking and coffee making. Plus they furnish all the plumbing fittings, adapters and RO faucet. Thety do require some DIY ability though. Not much, but some, none the less.

I think that 55 gal is the transition point <55 small tank >55 but <180 medium, and >180 Large that is just my opinion though.

Smaller than a 55 gallon is very small for a marine tank. Small is 55 to 120. Medium being 125 to 265. Large being those larger than 265. A 265 is the largest mass produced tank made by the big three manafturers of glass tanks. With a tank smaller than 55 gallon I would recommend an RODI filter be bought for convience and lack of trust in others producing quality water, not for money saved by not having to purchase RO water. A pay back would be awfully slow on a good RODI system if one is only using 5 gallons or less of water per week.

Last edited:
Back