Rookie needs some suggestions

socalcasey50

Reefing newb
New tank setup doing salt water fo the first time. I Have a eclipse 12 with 27 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand. I have the stock filter running that came with the hood but the bio wheel is not moving. It seems as if though the warter is not reaching the bio wheel. Is the problem that I dont have the right bio wheel? Also if anyone has any suggestions or comments for me good or bad on my setup please respond to me....thank you Ryan

Actually, that tank looks best suited for freshwater, than saltwater -- mainly because biowheels are not necessary (and in fact, may become problematic) in saltwater systems. In place of biowheels (or bioballs), saltwater systems use live rocks and live sand for its biological filtration.

But if you can't return it, just make sure to change out the filter regularly, otherwise you will have nitrate problems.

I've never used biowheels when I had freshwater, so I couldn't help you figure out why it's not spinning....if it works the same as regular hob filters, should the chamber under the biowheel be also filled w/ water to start suction? Are you even hearing any noise? Do you see water pouring out of the spout?

+1 Wonton, I would take out the biowheels out and just use the filter to get some water movement. Is it possible that the water level isn't high enough to get pumped through the filters?

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. You could just remove the bio-wheel, you won't need it, and like stated, it will cause high nitrates.

I have removed the bio wheel the water is clear and all the checks look great thank you all for your help and I will be bugging you all some more !!!!!

Good job on the rock and sand weights!! :Cheers:

You've got over 2lbs per gallon of live rock and over 1.5lbs of sand per gallon. You're off to a great start.

:bounce:

Back