Rose Bubble-Tip Anemone Reproduction

Carli

Reefing newb
Hi!

So my boyfriend and I have a 20 gallon tank at the moment, and just bought a 55 gallon. We are hoping to set up the 55 gallon soon, but don't have all of the supplies yet. Anyways, we've had this rose bubble-tip anemone for a while now, probably around 6ish months. It got super big, it took up about half of the tank. Then in the last few weeks it split. So the two anemones are looking really healthy and recovering fine from the split, but this morning I noticed there was something stuck to the glass, about the size of a nickel. To me it looks like a small anemone. I read online that bubble-tip anemones can reproduce asexually and sexually, but in aquariums it's very rare that they reproduce sexually. Do you think it's possible that after the anemones split, they reproduced sexually? Or did we just randomly gain an anemone somehow? The first picture is what we believe to be our baby anemone. The second and fourth picture is of the anemone before it split, and the third is after it split.
1378709_10202126665758113_359401347_n.jpg

IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_9601.JPG

Thanks! I decided to finally join a forum so I can ask questions without having to leave my house and go to my LTS. :D

Welcome to the site! Nice anemones. When an anemone splits if it is a male the clone will be a male and vice versa for a female. I would have to say you have another asexual clone.

nems can split into more than just one other clone. i propogate and manually clone all kinds of BTAs and have seen up to three clones from one nem, naturally. so had one x nem and had four of x nem when i got home. enjoy!

I had the same thing with my quadricolor.

This is it at feed time.
fed-large-bubble-_zps58f0971e.jpg

Waiting for food as usual.
large-red-bubble-_zps566bc4f4.jpg

The youngster from the original
small-red-bubble-_zps8f9af219.jpg

This thing was so big it was killing my acans, so i get rid of the original now the youngster is to big in just a few weeks.

In the wild our local common latezonatus favour the red quads quite a bit.
This a juvenile lat of millions that we see in the same species of anemone, the colour is slightly wrong as this was in over 80 feet of water, red or similar begins to fail at around 30 to 4o feet of water.
anemoneclown-.jpg

Last edited:
I think its the leds that make the colours pop so much, it wasn't that bright in the ocean or in the bucket on the way home.

I have a had a BTA for about a month and my female Stubby Oscellaris started to host it in about 2 days and the male about a week. The BTA didn't move around a whole lot, just into the shade with just the bubbles sticking out. I did a water change a few days ago and it seems like the BTA is splitting. I looked at multiple forums and some people have different ideas as to if it's a good sign or bad sign that they are splitting. My parameters seem to be spot on, I was just curious to see if anyone had any other ideas.

I have never seen a nem split but seen the out come. If it is in the shade or elongated, this would show signs of stress. Stress is not just what you can see, it's the things you can't see like bacteria or the clown "loving" it too much. Splitting is its natural way for both good and bad. If they are happy and out grow the outcropping their in, they will split. Power head adjustments and poor husbandry or bacteria infections are another way it will try to save itself. If the nem is a perfect circle that opens daily... I would not worry about it.
Pictures will help a lot in this area too.

Please start your own post to allow for everyone to see and answer in. This allows for newbies to also see what to expect when introducing news to a reef tank and what may happen.

I have no luck with them. I keep very healthy tanks...but Nems hate me for some reason. My LFS is baffled too. I really keep healthy tanks. I grow coral like it's nothing. But BTA's...nope : )

Good luck. OR at least better than mine.

I have no luck with them. I keep very healthy tanks...but Nems hate me for some reason. My LFS is baffled too. I really keep healthy tanks. I grow coral like it's nothing. But BTA's...nope : )

Good luck. OR at least better than mine.
They are very easy to care for. I would strongly state my high end (expensive) sps more demanding than any bta. The thing that tips most nems over their limits are unstable parameters. I do not do anything different... In fact I've been using straight tap water and introduced them to my tank after 1 month of being up and running. I would expect some negative feed back and by far am not lucky. Understanding what nems need in a dt as flow and light and outcropping (where they can place their foot) is where the money is at. I would post some pictures of your systems so that we could help you in any purchase of a nem with the best results.

Back