Rotting Flesh?

I dont know much about brand, but i would go with the most powerful bulb you can to maximize its actual killing power.

A UV light should be very effective at killing bacteria, but its pretty useless for killing anything multicellular with how they are set up in saltwater tank

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since this semi-relates, I thought why not!

Brief background - I added a clownfish about 6 weeks ago and although he initially showed some "fuzz" on his sides he managed to clear it and has done well in the tank since. So this weekend I added a mandarin and pygmy wrasse. Both looked very healthy and were eating at the store, though had only arrived the day before (I know, I know, lots of bad decisions on my part here - don't remind me!). Fed them yesterday, both ate just fine and seem to be settling in. The wrasse gets pale occasionally but is coming out.

Tonight I accidentally dropped the stick of cyclopeeze into the tank while I was shaving a little off - boom, tons of crap floating all through the water column! (yeah, not a pretty sight, even after a 25% water change). Then I noticed that both of my new fish are covered in tiny white spots - fins, body, etc. The spots are about the same size as the cyclopeeze, but I can't tell if this is an ich outbreak, velvet outbreak, food that's gotten stuck to them, or another flare up of the old disease. Their flesh looks fuzzy in areas where the white spots are, but I can't tell if its strings of flesh coming off like last time. I've looked at the fish several times today and didn't notice a thing out of place until after feeding the cyclopeeze. Is there any chance this *is* just cyclopeeze stuck to them?

Thanks Kelz & Hannah

Both fish were alive this morning and swimming/perching normally, which is good since the last time the disease struck the affected fish were dead by morning. Lights were still off when I left for work though so I couldn't tell how their flesh looked. If it is illness, fingers crossed they are hearty enough to fight it off - not really sure what to expect with these fish in terms of heartiness. If I lose them, I think I'll just add another clown to the tank and call it a day.

The good news: Both fish are still alive and don't really appear to have as many spots on them as they did the other night, so I'm hoping most of it was just due to my overfeeding of cyclopeeze

The bad news: There are clearly patches of flesh that are sloughing off in small pieces. Nothing like what happened before, but both fish are showing this, the clown is not. I'm hoping they are strong enough to fight it off. The other piece of bad news is that the mandarin is not eating like it was at the store. I bought the same pellets it was eating at the store and have tried the baby food jar method but it isn't going for them. Its still picking off the rocks, but when I feed cyclopeeze it just floats in the water column - how do I get it to land on the rocks? If she's not eating and fighting illness that is a very bad sign about her chances for survival :(

When I got my ORA (tank bred/raised) mandarin, she didn't eat for almost two weeks. I sent an e-mail to them and they sent me a list of what they fed and how they fed. I use an 8 ounce glass on its side and put the food inside. She now goes into the glass as soon as she sees me every morning. I feed Nutra Ova, cyclopeez mostly and occasionally add chopped mysis shrimp and chopped bloodworms....all of which were on the list.
Good Luck.

Well, I lost both fish this morning. I don't think it was the same disease but I don't really know. My best guess is that the mandarin starved (even though it had started to eat out of the water column when I fed the tank), and that maybe the ammonia level from the mandarin took out the wrasse. At any rate, I did a 20% water change and fingers crossed Tango is still clowning around (hehe) when I get home!

Back