Round 2 - 75g vs 90g vs 120g?

Awol

Reefing newb
Hey all,

Haven't been around for awhile. I was a fairly active newbie around here awhile ago. Had a 125g I was going to set up. Never got around to it due to some financial reasons and I sold it to help pay for some stuff. Since then I've gotten everything back together, and my new bride is moving in with me.

So now I'm back in the market for a tank and hope to get a setup going sometime this Fall.

I'm looking for some pros / cons that some of you more experienced folk have had with the different sizes of 4' tanks.

I'm planning to use a 60g for a sump in the stand underneath so total water volume should be pretty decent no matter which I choose.

Obviously I'd prefer the 120g, something about that 24" x24" of water column just really appeals to me. However once I plumb it (assuming I drill it myself) I'd be looking at being 30" off the wall and that might be excessive...

So just some random ramblings and announcing my re-entry into the newbie ranks.

Feel free to add anecdotal evidence and your thoughts!

-Awol

Obviously I'd prefer the 120g, something about that 24" x24" of water column just really appeals to me. However once I plumb it (assuming I drill it myself) I'd be looking at being 30" off the wall and that might be excessive...

Get a tank that doesn't have a tempered bottom. Drill the bottom and install an internal overflow. This way no external plumbing in the back, just underneath your stand. This is how I had my 150 set up.

Don't forget about the 150H. Same footprint as the 120 but it's 30" high. The tank I have is made by Perfecto and the bottom is not tempered. So it would also be a candidate if your considering drilling the bottom for your overflow. I was looking to get a 120 but saw the 150H in the LFS and I had to have it.

You may want to try laying out some tape around the area where your planning on putting the tank. Leave it there for awhile and see if its annoying to walk around. Before I bought my tank I was thinking about a 6ft and bailed on the idea after seeing how much space it really took up.

Welcome back to the forim Awol.
Personally,I'd go ahead and get a reef ready tank.That way you dont have to worry about something going wrong while your drilling it.It'd suck to have to put another bottom in a tank.

If you are spending the money on a tank that size, you may as well upgrade to reef ready, as Yote says. Not only will you not have to buy HOB equipment, but the cost increase is not significant at that point.

Good info there. Knew I could count on you folks for some helpful insight, thanks!

I'm contemplating a used tank vs a new one. I know there are some risks if they used copper or something, but a new tank is significantly more than a used one would be. I may save up and go new regardless. If I do that, then the RR is definitely the only way to go. However, that would push back the tank a bit so if a good deal comes along, I might jump on it.

Lots of things up in the air, and I'm a planner so until I get a better handle on my plan, I'll be the random trolling newbie again!

Keep surfing craigslist in your area for tanks. There are always people looking to sell tanks either because they are upgrading or getting out of the hobby. If you keep an eye on the listings and your patient I'm sure a worthwhile deal will come along.

Copper's not so much of a risk when buying a used tank. There are some people that say the silicone absorbs it, but others disagree. The glass doesn't absorb it. So you should be safe on that. It's the used rock and sand you need to watch out for.

Back