Round Robin Zoa Trade

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Would any of you be interested in a Round Robin Zoa trade?

I'd start by fragging a couple polyps and shipping them to the first person who wants them.

That person has to frag something and ship it to another person.

3rd person has to frag something and ship it to the next person who speaks up and wants it.

Eventually, it'll get back around to me.

That completes round 1.

I'm willing to frag a polyp or two of ANYTHING I got in my tank. I'll even start if thats what it takes to get this off the ground-- (outta the water).

Anybody else up for this? I live in Denver, so I'm reasonably close to the southwest and western states. I know Biff has trouble getting nice zoas at a reasonable price. I would like more mushrooms, ricordia or a piece of LPS.

All it costs ya is the shipping to the next person. How cheap is that?

Acctual alot of frags will be fine in two day which is about 8.00 to most places. zoos and PSP are great shipper xenia are not good at all, just depends on the coral.

Also alot of it has to do with the time of year. This is a great time not too hot and not too cold. In summer you can add ice packs in winter heat packs but how long do they last?

A guy shipped 8 frag colonies to me in a styrofoam box from Florida for $35 overnight.

It's not that expensive, if you do it right. You only need a little bit of water to keep a couple polyps alive for 24hrs. The last frags I got came in bags about 2" diameter and 8" long. They were placed in the bags with about 2" of water and then sealed up with a rubberband. He shipped 8 frags in a 6x6x6 styrofoam box--inside a cardboard box. He dropped them off at the last minute, so he knew when those frags would hit the truck and leave on the last one for the day that was bound for the airport. Just a bit of research to figure that out. By shipping them at the last minute, and getting them on the last truck for the airport, it minimalizes the time frame. I had my frags within about 22hrs.

I think it would be easy to ship overnight for about $25. I hear a lot of people are using thermos bottles. You can get a thermos at Walmart for $6. We could all use the same thermos. When your frags arrive, you just rinse the thermos and use it to ship your frags to the next person.

With the price of frags, I'd be more than happy to spend the $$ on shipping if it was something I really wanted. They grow and reproduce. You only need a couple of them to get a nice colony started.

A guy shipped 8 frag colonies to me in a styrofoam box from Florida for $35 overnight.

It's not that expensive, if you do it right. You only need a little bit of water to keep a couple polyps alive for 24hrs. The last frags I got came in bags about 2" diameter and 8" long. They were placed in the bags with about 2" of water and then sealed up with a rubberband. He shipped 8 frags in a 6x6x6 styrofoam box--inside a cardboard box. He dropped them off at the last minute, so he knew when those frags would hit the truck and leave on the last one for the day that was bound for the airport. Just a bit of research to figure that out. By shipping them at the last minute, and getting them on the last truck for the airport, it minimalizes the time frame. I had my frags within about 22hrs.

I think it would be easy to ship overnight for about $25. I hear a lot of people are using thermos bottles. You can get a thermos at Walmart for $6. We could all use the same thermos. When your frags arrive, you just rinse the thermos and use it to ship your frags to the next person.

With the price of frags, I'd be more than happy to spend the $$ on shipping if it was something I really wanted. They grow and reproduce. You only need a couple of them to get a nice colony started.

great idea about the thermos

Yeah it's called a thermos trade alot of people on RC do that. Seems to work out pretty good.

I would be interested in this... But not yet. Because I killed most of my corals in my tank boil, and 99% of the stuff in my tank just came in the last 3 days. I would like to do this once my stuff grows out more, I think it's a good idea.

My order of zoas today came shipped without water. Each frag was wrapped in a wet paper towel. They hadn't opened up by the time I turned the lights off (hence why there are no pictoral updates to my thread), but this is probably a very good way to ship things too.

Who did you order from Biff? The only time I have heard or shipping with wet paper is with GSP because they are soo hardy.

Okay, so we got some interest.

I do have like 9 differnt kinds of zoas. I have 2 different types of mushrooms.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Biff though. My stuff is all new and small. I got no problem fragging them, but they aren't going to be big. I remember a couple people really liked some of the frags I posted last week. Reeffreak said something about one of my zoas. I don't know weather or not people would expect large polyps or if my smaller ones would be okay.

Do I have to grow mine out and frag them onto rocks first? Or, can I just slice a couple polpys off an existing rock and toss them in a bag? Will they stay alive if they are shipped without being attached to a rock?

Yes they will survive, but a really good way to ship is when they're on rocks, because then you can rubber band a piece of styrofoam to the bottom and the rock will alway float upside down that way it will alway be submereged. I recieved about 5 corals done that way and all did great except the one were the tupawere got busted.

It seams to me that it took about 4-6 weeks for some of my frags to "slime" and attach to rocks before I was able to take the rubberbands off.

So, do I need to start fragging? :mrgreen:

Somebody start a tutorial thread: How To Frag Zoas and Ployps :bowdown:

I have 3 tyoes of zoos I can frag,some shrooms, And I'd throw in some PSP for free with what ever you wanted because the stuff grows soo fast.

Just cut the attaching piece NOT THE POLYPS and thats it. Then you can glue the frag to the rock and give it time to attach. Male sure you were gloves and safty glasses when you cut them because they can be poisones.

Can't sleep.

Winyfrog1:
I really like that purple anenome you got. There is a pic of a clown hosting inside a purplish/violet anenome.

I have most of my stuff in my gallery. But, they are miscatagorized, so you may have to look under tank pics instead of livestock.

I'm going to update my gallery tomorrow and try to get the best pics I can get of all my stuff. I'll start putting all of them in the Invertebrates category so that anyone looking for frags can see what I got by simply go straight to the Invertebrates gallery from now on.

Back