Rubbermaid Sumps

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I'm about to go this route and will be stopping at Tractor Supply tonite just for looksies and ideas.
If anyone has done this before or has any tips, let me know.
I'll be getting at least a 100g for the main sump.
Might get at least one smaller one to use as a frag tank.

For my current tank (90 gallon) I used a square plastic tub as my sump and a round one for my fuge. It's way easier and cheaper than using a tank or building your own or buying a premade one. Easy peasy japaneesy!

091909003.jpg

091909006.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

Yeah, those pics were when I first set the tank up, about 3 years ago. I ended up cleaning up all that wiring shortly after they were taken, so that's a pretty bad example I'm setting. :)

Just got back from Tractor Supply.
I think I'm gonna get the 150g for the main sump and then the 50g for growing mangroves and frags. :)

ooooooo i want a mangrove!

Love your sump biff, i may go that route. Stay away from the regular put your xmas decorations in bins though, i had a huge one with sharks in it when i was younger. (freshwater) the damn thing broke and killed all my sharks lol

Dennis, please make sure to photo this part of the build. I am going to do the same thing with mine. I am thinking 100-150g sump and I also have a 75g aquarium laying around. I also want to do a frag tank, and a minimum of a 55g hospital tank.

My thoughts are going with the rubbermaid tanks for sump(150g) and fuge(50-100g), buy something like a 30g long for frag tank, and then use the 75 for QT(which wouldn't be in the tank water loop)

What are your thoughts on this? Also, what are you going to use to light the frag tank?

Also, Biffs setup worked great for her tank and I am thinking magic cheato was the reason. Not everyone can get magic cheato. I have only used "regular" cheato and it wasn't very good for my tank....:D

Last edited:
The plan is to use the 150 for my skimmer, live rock and cheato.
See that roughneck tote in biff's pic? Looks like her return container. I'll use one of those inside the 150 for my skimmer to keep a constant water level. The smaller 50g stock tank will be plumbed from/back to the 150g stock tank.

I will definitely document with pics. Shame on you for even thinking I wouldn't. ;)

Picking up the stock tanks tonite! :bounce:

Yes, shame on me!!! LOL

Sounds like you have a good plan. I know it will be to notch and will work great. Can't wait till you start putting it together. Actually, I can't wait till I start working on my own. LOL.

Yes, the round container was a fuge and the rectangular tote was my sump/return/skimmer combined. I didn't have to make separate sections. My skimmer is a recirculating skimmer, so it sits outside the sump, and a pump in the sump feeds it, and then a hose brings the water back to the sump. For the fuge, I had a MaxiJet in the sump bringing water to the fuge, and I put the fuge on cinder blocks higher up than the sump so the water was just gravity fed down the white PVC tube back to the sump. Pretty fool proof! :mrgreen:

Back