Rubbing against rock & sand

chiqui bb

Reefing newb
I've read many posts about ich but don't see any spots on my fish. They are eating and acting normal. I noticed the yellow watchman goby flipping the sand recently. He swims to an open area, turns sideways and flips the sand. He only does this once. At first I thought he was just stirring up the sand because he hangs around long enough to eat things that float up in the water. This started about 6 days ago. Now yesterday I noticed the blue damsel rubbing the side of it's face on the live rock. Again, this doesn't happen often and I don't see any spots but am concerned. Should I move the fish to a quarantine tank and medicate or supplement with garlic and wait it out?

Great. I'll try that tonight. Another question about quarantine tanks. I have a 32 gal plastic trash can that I use to mix and age my water for water changes. I have a heater and a power head for mixing and aeration. Can this setup be used for a quarantine tank? It was pretty inexpensive and would not cost much to set up another one and dedicate it to quarantine.

I've been monitoring these levels as this is a fairly new tank (7 weeks). Amonia went from 0 to .25 in the 3rd week; nitrite went from 0 to .05 shortly thereafter but both have dropped back to zero now. LFS told me not to worry about nitrate this early but sounds like I may need to start monitoring this as well.

well if the levels are to high it iratates them and they will scratch sometimes it is because of the nitrites and trates but most times it is from ich or something like that.

or the stress of the water chemistry is causing them stress which makes them susseptable to getting things like ich..

i personaly dont see anything wrong with the trashcan QT... i use that same setup for my mixing tank, and i would think that as long as you give them some places to hide, like cut off chunks of pvc pipe or something to hide in, then it should be fine to use as a QT.. just make sure you dont accidentially use the water outta that and put it in the DT, if your medicating with copper, it could be bad :)

A plastic trash can would work great for a quarantine tank. The sides are dark -- which is an advantage. It's believed that darkening the QT minimizes stress on the fish.

Back