rubbing and flashing on the rocks

mustangtim66gt

Reefing newb
Hi all. I have a 55 gal set up for about 6 months now. 3 cromies are doing good. I added a picaso trigger a week ago and noticed he is rubbing himself on the rocks. He has good color and eats fine. My nitrite level is 0 and so is amonia. my PH was low but bufferd and now is back to 8.3. I see no white spots or any other abnormal stuff on the outside of him. Does any one think I am dealing with a disease or is this a sighn of stress? Oh and water temp is fine too steady at 76-78. Any ideas as to what I am missing or dealing with would be appreciated.

Flashing and scratching is a sign of stress and is usually an early sign of ich. A 55g tank is too small for a trigger and probably why you're seeing those signs.

Welcome to the site!

The 55 is temperary and the tank he came from when I got him was only a 30 gal. He is still very small not even 3 inches. If it is early ich should I let him ride it out and hope he has a good immune system? or is there truly a good medication I can use? Tim

The 55 is temperary and the tank he came from when I got him was only a 30 gal. He is still very small not even 3 inches. If it is early ich should I let him ride it out and hope he has a good immune system? or is there truly a good medication I can use? Tim

When are you upgrading?

wasnt planning on upgrading for a few months. But i dont know if I should sooner now if I need to get my trigger in a better situation. I was told by the fish store in town he would be ok in a 55 temperaraly. even if it was for a few months

Tank size aside, is the trigger eating? If he is, even if he was sick, he might have a good chance of fighting it off himself. Make sure you're feeding high quality frozen foods.

If he's not, he may have ich or some other parasite, and you'd have to treat accordingly. Any white or black spots?

wasnt planning on upgrading for a few months. But i dont know if I should sooner now if I need to get my trigger in a better situation. I was told by the fish store in town he would be ok in a 55 temperaraly. even if it was for a few months

They need about twice that much as adults, but he should be fine for a month or two... Just don't push minimum tank sizes.

He is eating great. eats every time I put food in. I feed him a mix of frozen brine and krill. no sighn of spots either. and all water conditions are good. The plan is to have him in a 125 gal. Could he have ich and not show any visable sighns yet?

I dont know about triggers but my blenny flashes on the rocks and the sand for attention. If she wants food or for me to look at her she does it all the time. She has been doing it since I got her months ago and she is not sick at all.

I would just watch him feed him the highest quality foods and see if he fights it off before doing anything drastic.

Try adding some mysis, clams, and squid to the mix, plus maybe some other kinds of shrimp. That'll keep him healthy. If he's eating, he might fight it off on his own :)

would i be better off buying that stuff at the super market or at a local fish store? Thanks for all the input everyone I will do all I can. He doesnt appear sick or skinny just the rubbing that is bothersome. wish me luck I would hate to loose him. Tim

I get a the variety saltwater frozen food from Petsmart or Petco it has all of those in it so each time you feed you give them something different.

Back