Ruby emerald crab?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
He was a live rock hitchhiker. We think he is a ruby emerald crab but not sure. He should be reef safe right? Will he kill feather dusters if we put them in with him? Thanks!

Casey

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,354
I cant really see anything from that picture, but if the claws are pointy or they are really hairy, they are usually bad dudes. They wont go after a feather duster, but they might go after your fish

Looks like a red mithrax crab to me (same thing as an emerald just different color). They come in several different colors red, green, black, and some others I can't remember right now. They're reef safe, when mine got big enough though they started going after my cuc and within a month I had to replace all of my snails.

I have had many Emerald Crabs and while they are reef safe they seem to be the only thing that could have killed 2 Feather Dusters and possibly my Manderin.

They are not as innocent as I thought at least. This is just from my own tank experience.

I can see the crab in the picture, is on the left. The claws are a little thiner than the ones the emerald crab have. If I where you, I'll take it out of the tank because the claws are also a bit longer and that means it can hunt. So, keep an eye or 2 on him.

Back