Rufio's Snorkel Log

Rufio808

Reefing newb
So, I'm starting to pick up stuff from my snorkel adventures. Usually it's for macroalgae or other miscellaneous items. No fish though! My tank is far too small for anything found around here. It does fuel my hunger for a larger tank though. I can't recall how many times a Humu has wedged itself in a rock right in front of me and his tail sticking out. The temptation!

I love the water and all the life that encompasses it. I take care of it as much as I can. Last week I had pulled about a good 20 feet of line some noob fisherman got caught on the reef.

I hope to keep this log so I can look back and see my pick ups and also share with my fellow ocean lovers.

Well lets get this started yeah?!

On April 16th I picked up a small bush of halimeda and another type of maco, rhodophyta. It turns out a small decorator crab was hiding super good in the algae. He covered himself in sand and parts of the algae. I was going to bring him back this week, but he has been a beast on some hair algae sprouting around my tank. Crazy little guy molted already. He's grown on me...

PhotoApr2332842PM.jpg

PhotoApr2332925PM.jpg

That is so cool!

But i wouldnt put anything back in the ocean once its been in your tank. You might introduce something back that wasnt their originally and who knows what disasters it might cause.

It looks so cool being able to catch you own fish from the wild! It is illegal though... Oh well, no one will ever know!

You can catch your own fish here in Hawaii. You need a license if you sell them. You need a permit if your using nets of a certain mesh size, ect.

Wicked mate, I wish I could have brought some of the stuff back from my diving adventures. Like a nice big sea turtle!!! ;)

I saw a few big barracudas in the Caribbean. I was sure they would look great in my 10 gallon. I smuggled it through the airport in my backpack and put it in my tank. Nooo!:shock: It didn't fit!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Yah, that was dumb. There were some pretty cool looking squids there. But I didn't think about how they would look in my tank until now. I bet my eel would enjoy their company...:twisted:

Hahaha. Yeah, there are a lot of interesting and exciting things in the ocean. I usually either set a goal for each snorkel outing or expect nothing at all. I really try to focus on obtaining things that are plentiful and do well in aquarium life.

Awesome thread Rufio!! I LOVE my decorator crab he is fun to watch.

I am getting my scuba certification in July and I cant wait to hit the water.

Update: Saw a 2-3 ft Ulua (Giant Trevally) today. It was weird because he was only in about 5 ft of water and all alone. He looked lost and confused haha. This reminds me that I need to get a 3-prong spear and snorkel for dinner some times!

Update: Saw two juvenile dragon wrasses. That's the first time I've ever seen them also. I even saw a small snowflake eel in the middle of nowhere. He was just chillin' in the sand all happy. Hahaha. I really need to get an underwater camera!

Back