Running Bio Pellets

In your research was that the best reactor you found or are they all pretty similar in function? And is there a certain amount you use for tank size or for your bioload?

From what I can tell, most reactors are the same. Octopus does however make a Bio-Pellet specific reactor that from all appearances is really nice.

I think the recommended amount of pellets for my tank was 750ml. I started at 500ml after reading stories that it is best to start slow and work up. I did contact Jon Warner, and he told me not to run more than 500ml in my system, and to actually go out and buy more fish. So the amount really depends on the bio-load, not the tank size.

Brian, if you are thinking about running them on your 75 I would start with the small jar of 250ml in the reactor.

Another thing I have discovered is you will not need to run carbon, or GFO while the pellets are going.

I'm definitely moving in this direction, my new skimmer gets here on Friday and next week I'll probably be ordering the reactor. I'm going to try and contact Jon to see what he recommends, I've got a pretty high bioload already and I'm moving towards an SPS/anem dominated tank.

Thanks for all the help! :Cheers:

I am betting that 250ml would be perfect for your tank. You can definately get away with a smaller reactor too running that amount. Just be sure you have 100 gph going threw the pellets and you'll be fine.

I realize this is bumping an old thread, but its a sticky so I figured I'd post here versus starting a new thread.

I've had a slight phosphate issue for a while now, and last week for the first time in almost a year I started detecting nitrates with my water tests. I was on the fence about bio pellets in the past and decided to spend money on other things at the time. I figure if I am going to get a reactor to run GFO, I might as well run bio pellets instead to address both the phosphates and the nitrates

I am now back to considering a bio pellet setup for my system. Fast, are you still running bio pellets? Any advice or pointers you can give to someone just starting up a reactor?

Yes, I am still running them. IMO Warner Marine Eco Bak pellets are the best you can get. Run and appropriate amount for your bio load, not tank size. Feed your fish and coral often, that will make your fish fat, and the bio pellets work properly.

So bio-pelets also clear the water, like carbon?

No, bio pellets run in a reactor grow bacteria, that in theory feed on the nitrates (and to a lesser extent phosphates) that are in the water column. You then have the output of the reactor (containing the bacteria) either very close to, or tied directly into the intake of your skimmer which removes the bacteria (and consumed nitrates and phosphates) from the system.

I need to look into GFO for phosphate, and for that that costs to implement, I might as well add a bio pellet reactor

Fast - With the stocking list in my signature in a 180g, how much of the Warner bio pellets do you think I should start with?

No, bio pellets run in a reactor grow bacteria, that in theory feed on the nitrates (and to a lesser extent phosphates) that are in the water column. You then have the output of the reactor (containing the bacteria) either very close to, or tied directly into the intake of your skimmer which removes the bacteria (and consumed nitrates and phosphates) from the system.

I need to look into GFO for phosphate, and for that that costs to implement, I might as well add a bio pellet reactor

Fast - With the stocking list in my signature in a 180g, how much of the Warner bio pellets do you think I should start with?

I meant does it clear the water in addition to the other thing it does?

No need to run GFO along with it. I only run the one reactor. As for your pellet amount, guessing start with 500ml, and then move to a bout 600ml after a month. I am running 500ml in my tank.

I meant does it clear the water in addition to the other thing it does?

NO!

Fast - thanks for the info, I really appriciate it. I'm going to place an order for a Next Reef reactor, the Warner Marine Pellets, and a MJ1200 with my LFS

Alex - there are plenty of reef tanks that don't run carbon full time. I think in the year and a half my tank has been up and running, I've run carbon for maybe a total of 7 days

If you have any questions about the Warner Marine bio pellets, you can contact the company. Jon Warner is a super nice guy, and will answer any and all questions that may arise. I met him at Reef A Palooza this year as well.

Just make sure your tank is fully stocked! Mine was a bit under stocked and I had to go out and add more fish.

I've got 5 Tangs, 2 clowns, 2 wrasses, a cardinal, and a dwarf angelfish so going with the 1 per 10 gallons rule I'm not fully stocked yet, but I feed pretty heavily (hence the nitrates issues)

Fast, just wondering if you think my 75 is understocked. I think so. I have a coral beauty, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, and a blue hippo tang about 3 inches long.

Fast, just wondering if you think my 75 is understocked. I think so. I have a coral beauty, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, and a blue hippo tang about 3 inches long.

I don't think your tank is understocked, but you will need to re-home that hippo tang. They need at least 6 feet of horizontal swimming space, and probably should have 8 feet. You will not be able to house that fish long term in a 75

I wasn't planning on keeping it till it got full sized. I know the tank is too small. I plan on having a larger tank in the future. And I am quite sure I will have it before he needs to be moved.

Just posting back to report that I started running a Bio Pellet reactor on 2/26/12. I talked to my fish guy and ended up going with a Phosban 550, a MJ1200, and the TLF Bio Pellets. He uses them on his tanks, and gave me names of several local guys using them without any negative issues so I decided to go that route (I try to support my local store as much as possible, he has helped me out in emergencies in the past)

In any case, using the formula for the TLF pellets, I need ~700 ml for my system. I started the system up with 350 ml of pellets, and I think sometime this weekend I'll add another 125 ml of pellets to the reactor.

So far, I have not noticed any reduction in nitrates (testing 10-20 on API liquid test kit) but I can definitely see some bacteria growth in the reactor, on the side walls and at the very top. My skimmer has started skimming on a much more regular basis since adding the pellets.

I continue to feed everyday, I tried cutting back on the feeding of my tangs to help control the nitrates I was seeing, but when I cut food to every other day, I saw a noticable increase in aggression between my fish. As long as they are fed every day, they don't really bother each other

Back