Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

Those are some nice additions my friend.Your tanks looking awesome.

Thanks buddy, glad you liked them! :D I'm really loving this hobby, still waiting for the LFS to get some more LR in, so once that arrives and I've got that in the tank, I'm going to be really happy how the tank looks I think. Just ordered some marine putty, to prevent the Emeralds from rearranging the fans!!! Took my half an hour last night to get them set where I wanted them, to come back downstairs fifteen minutes later to see the little buggers removing them from the holes I'd put them in!!!!

Just for good measure.............

Attachments

• Aaron.jpg
    Aaron.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Lola.jpg
    Lola.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Optomato Prime.jpg
    Optomato Prime.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 250
wow everyting is really coming along for you. got some cool shrimp, some cool fish, and corals. And i must say the rock in your tank is aquascaped very well!

wow everyting is really coming along for you. got some cool shrimp, some cool fish, and corals. And i must say the rock in your tank is aquascaped very well!

Thanks Alex, so far so good! I would love to get some more corals in (especially after just seeing Capts showcase) but I'm not going to rush, I want to get my new lighting unit and combinations sorted first, especially before adding the more difficult corals. I've tried to keep it simple so far, and luckily my LFS seldom gets anything that I will ultimately want, so at the moment the temptation isn't there! I want to add another couple of large pieces of LR to the back of the tank, to mask the heater and the ex. filter inlet, once I've got those in, I'll be really happy, really appreciate the comments.

Good to see you practicing and exercising patience. It all comes in time, just hopefully when that time actually comes your LFS will bw able to get you something you want!

Good to see you practicing and exercising patience. It all comes in time, just hopefully when that time actually comes your LFS will bw able to get you something you want!

Alex, when the time comes, I'll be clocking up serious miles in the car and be nestled amongst polystyrene crates, trying to find the corals I want! :mrgreen:

Guys

In need of a pointer or two, for the last 8 weeks my dKH has been at 11.7, now within the last week it's dropped to 9.5, anyone have any idea, as to why, i'm assuming that its due to buying shop bought salt mixed water for my partial changes in the last couple of weeks, but if anyone has any other ideas, and also solutions for getting it back up, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always :D

The saltwater you've been using might have a lower alkalinity.But it could be that your tanks using it up too.Hows your coralline growth?
To bring up,I've to where I use baking soda to dose for alkalinity.
I use this cal. to figure the dosage.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Coralline growth is slow but steady buddy, I've noticed it taking off in the last few weeks, especially on the powerheads and heater, along with a very bright almost flourescent lime green algae on the back glass of my tank. I remember you giving me the pointer on baking soda before, sorry buddy. Thanks as always and for the link :D

Last edited:
Evening guys

I came home from work tonight to a very beautiful sight! For the first time since putting it in my tank, my Pink Cauliflower has completely extended and opened out, it really does look fantastic (went to take a pic and battery on camera was depleted!!). It has always extended its polyps before but has stayed relatively compact. The weird thing is, because I'm still having trouble with my temp in the tank running at bit high (despite turning down the heat, reducing the time with lights on etc), I left the lights off completely today. So consequently I'm a bit vexed as to why on a day when I leave the lights off, it seems to be appearing its best. Anyone have much experience with these corals?? Thanks as always :D

Got some very cool button polyps today, photos to follow, possibly my favourite coral I've bought so far, looks fantastic in the tank :D

Back