Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

Here you go guys, teasing over, doing a large change today, trying to get the params down a bit more and trying to reduce the temp, the skimmer is still running the temp higher than I would like. Will take some updated tank shots once I've finished and the cauli has extended again. Really loving the button polyp though! :D

Attachments

• New button Polyp 1.jpg
    New button Polyp 1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 269
  • New button Polyp 2.jpg
    New button Polyp 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 274
  • New shroom 1.jpg
    New shroom 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 284
Evening Guys

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking about what to add next to my little community. At the moment there is the Cinnamon Clownie, Lemonpeel, Sexy Six Line and a Blue Reef Chromis. I had originally ordered 3 Blue Reef Chromis, but as yet the other two still haven't turned up and I added 'Chips' to the tank at the beginning of Feb, and he's seems, despite being on his own, a really content happy fish! So I'm thinking instead of having the other 2 BRC, should I get something else. I've had my eye on, (depsite what I said after the loss of Valentine, that I wouldn't have Anthia again or not yet anyway), some very pretty Red Fairy (Tri-color) Anthias, they've been in the LFS for the last couple of weeks, and they really do catch the eye, anyone else keep them or kept them in the past? Thanks as always :D

The saltwater you've been using might have a lower alkalinity.But it could be that your tanks using it up too.Hows your coralline growth?
To bring up,I've to where I use baking soda to dose for alkalinity.
I use this cal. to figure the dosage.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Evening buddy, just thought I'd let you know carried out a couple of 10%'s and a 20% change over the course of the last week or so with self mixed Saltwater, and tested the alkalinity, each time. Although it improved I still dosed with Baking Soda, at a rate of 1tsp every 2 days (to 3.3tsp using the cal you posted for me), and I'm now back to just under 12, so thanks as always for the pointers! :D Only little setback I have now though is after testing tonight, there is a little spike in NH3, and can't figure out if it's down to the salt mix or, constant elevated temps, feeding pattern or dose hasn't changed and I haven't spotted anything dead that hasn't been cleaned up. The pH hasn't changed that still remains steady at 8.5, so more partial changes coming up, it feels like all I do is mix water, good job I love this aquarium! :D

Those are pretty fish.But like any other anrhias,they like to eat.
So when are you getting them?:D

I'm thinking at the weekend buddy, depending on how my water changes go, the NH3 spike isn't drastic, but obviously need to get back to 0! However, don't know if I can keep turning my back on them many more times!! I have watched them feed and they are machines :D

Last edited:
Weekly, I got new stuff update thread........!!! :mrgreen: Found a Banded Coral Shrimp at my LFS today and couldn't resist getting another Button Polyp, and a couple of feathers that look like Palm Trees in my scape!!! :D And yes Yote I did reserve the Red Fairy Anthias, will check my params again in the morning, before maybe going to get them!! Pics soon.......

Be careful of the coral banded shrimp. They catch and eat fish and other inverts.

Thanks Biffy, I realised that when I got him home! I had never really considered them before, so didn't do my homework! My Invert book suggested that he'd potentially be a problem, and to be fair I left him bobbing around in the tank, whilst deliberating and deciding whether I should let him in or take him back. I shall be keeping a close eye on him!

I had a coral banded shrimp when I first got into this money trap.Kept him all of 2 months before I caught it eatting corals.Took me about one minute to catch his butt and haul him to the store.

A little update, Cassius the BC Shrimp seems to be settling in ok, no problems with him of note yet, although to be fair he always looks poised for fight, pincers raised like a gunslinger! Going to give up on the dusters before long, the ones I have managed to sustain, look great, but for some reason one of the new ones must have gone kamikaze last night, that's 4 now! And after much hard work and mixing of saltwater and dosing with Bicarb, everything is back at zero and alkalinity back to a consistant 12.3dKH. Got another Koralia 2 in now and turned off the external filter for the time being and the Red Fairy (Tri-color) Anthia are in!! Pics later :D

Piccies :D

Attachments

• End of Tank.jpg
    End of Tank.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 300
  • Mid Tank.jpg
    Mid Tank.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Half Tank 1.jpg
    Half Tank 1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Full Tank.jpg