Rust! Need help.

blazk

Reefing newb
Ok while my sump was getting a make over Thread here I decided to clean all my gear ready to put back in. I pulled apart the return pump (Resun King 4F) and found a massive pile of rust on the impeller and on the end of the pump itself. After cleaning all the rust off with an old tooth brush and razor blade, this is what it looks like.
rust.JPG

rust2.JPG

I have no idea why anyone would put metal inside a submersable pump, i really dont even know what that part is used for.

Anyways my question is:
I would like to spray paint these parts (if possible) so that this doesnt happen again. I have in the shed a spray can of Wattyl killrust Epoxy semi gloss black Link to killrust site.
1. Can i use this?
2. Can it be used under water?
3. What other options besides buying a new impeller have it got?

Thanks for reading and any help would be greatly appriciated.

"3. What other options besides buying a new impeller have it got?"
Not much. No matter what you do the impeller will continue to rust; your best bet is a new impeller.

That pump looks exactly like the Gen-X pumps that also rust in the exact same place. You can spray paint the metal in there and that will stop the rusting. The impeller is fine to use. Is the shaft rusting too?

The shaft was covered in rust, im surprised it still went around, i mean the rust on the shaft was caked on. Im going to ring up the place where i got it and get them to fix or replace it or something as i have only had it for 5 months.

Back