Rwynn Pico Contest Thread

Hey rwynn, if you want your light to extend more across the tank, flip the bracket that holds it around so that the screws are on the outside of the tank. Looking good!

Hey rwynn, if you want your light to extend more across the tank, flip the bracket that holds it around so that the screws are on the outside of the tank. Looking good!

Genius!

Hey Dennis, do you think TBS would be able to hook me up with a Mantis hitchhiker? If say I ordered some rock or foo...I mean CuC from them?

So sourcing a small mantis proved prohibitively time consuming. So I picked up a couple tiny 3/4 inch damsels. Pics tomorrow if they survive the night. Also added a little Lr from the store for added biodiversity. Got a small cuc consisting of a turbo and Nass snail to keep all of the algae in check from the start. Going to do a wc tomorrow night.

You put two damsels in there? I dont mean to rain on your parade, but i think that is highly irresponsible.

IMO that tank is way too small for them, they will quickly out grow it, and because they are so territorial they will probably try to kill one another and probably you if you stick your hand in there.

Im not a reef tank elder so maybe im wrong, but i would return them ASAP

Are you seeing algae yet?

A little, I left the light on all weekend think it came in on my rock. It's like a pin head sized spot, just getting ahead of it.

Thanks lil fish for the concern as I mentioned these are tiny and if any problems arise I'll feed one to the lion fish at the lf s . They are literally half the size of my pinky and have Been chilling at the lf s for a couple weeks now, together, just fine, they are more schooling than anything.

You put two damsels in there? I dont mean to rain on your parade, but i think that is highly irresponsible.

IMO that tank is way too small for them, they will quickly out grow it, and because they are so territorial they will probably try to kill one another and probably you if you stick your hand in there.

Im not a reef tank elder so maybe im wrong, but i would return them ASAP

Well they did kill each other, good call on that. It was apparently a murder suicide per some of my employees, the little one attacked the big one(apparently wounding it) which then turned and killed the little one before dieing of it's own injuries...

Back to my search for something, unfortunately the selection around here is incredibly slim in regards to pico fish so outside of damsels there are not many other options.I was hesitant to get fish at all and with only that one option locally, there are really no other local choices, I had hoped that the two fish having been housed together for months now would lessen their aggression, apparently not.

I had originally and still do think an invert would be a better selection for the tank's show animal based on the lower bioload and small tank restrictions, the poor fish selection is accompanied by a poor selection of inverts and very poor selection of coral in the local stores. Moose and I are planning a trip to SA in 2 weeks to see if we cannot find more bountiful selections.

Yeah, but non available within my normal 45 minute radius, to my knowledge. Ordering online would be an option but I really don't want to pay 50$ for a 5$ fish.

Oh yeah, I forgot to update that fact. Well apparently the LFS sold me a faulty snail(it never moved I thought it was scared) so I gave it a week, and it never moved, decided it was toast and went to use a turkey baster to kind suction it a little to pull it out, and the entire body sucked into the baster in a black snotlike mass, smelled like death(literally). I am leaning towards that decaying that stressed my otherwise fine fish into their deaths while I was gone.

SO GREAT NEWS OMG OMG OMG working on a tip from an employee Miguel and I headed to a place only 15 minutes away and found the best fish store we have ever seen in our lives. GREAT prices AMAZING selection, SUPER clean tanks, they have EVERYTHING...so awesome..so I picked up a much more vibrant turbo, and a couple hermits and a small zoa frag(6$ frags). Pics later when I get a chance.

The new tank inhabitants are moving and eating and looking awesome since putting them in the tank on Friday.

Edit:

Something that totally amazed me, the rock I put in my tank was one that was in my 40g, it has been sitting DRY on the window sill for approx 3-4 months, then I gave it a freshwater bath under the tap and let it dry in the sun for 2 days on the back porch, assumed it was pretty dead...well today during feeding time Miguel noticed a bristleworm going about his business! Totally floored me how it survived.

Last edited:
I know it's 1/1, but I meant to post this update on rwynn's behalf yesterday so he would have a December update.

rwynn's CUC has a new tankmate. Early last week one of his employees gifted him a green clown goby which has taken a liking to hiding in one spot behind his live rock. I call him Gary. I have no idea what rwynn intends on calling it.

The attached image shows "Gary" in his previous hiding place, he now favors the opposite side of the rock where it is difficult to get a picture of him without moving the tank.

Attachments

• IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0549.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 409
  • IMAG0550.jpg
    IMAG0550.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG0518.jpg
    IMAG0518.jpg