sabae help

ob_on3

Reefing newb
OK..when I first bought the sabae anemone it was placed on a rock in the corner like shown below...
IMG_20130311_140716_zps0bb7c929.jpg

Now the next few days I noticed it moved itself below in between the two rocks...at first I worried but as I read up they said the sometimes move for their comfort...so I just let it be....but as I was only able to see a small portion of it...I began to worry even though the clowns still were hosting it....this morning I made the choice to move the big rock in front of it so the majority of the sabae could receive more light and when I did I noticed the mouth of the sabae all open and I noticed most of its tentacles are shriveled and yellow unlike the clear like thickness when it was first in the tank....as I type its beginning to show more life to it???
IMG_20130314_134954_zpsd812300e.jpg

Is this normal...do u think I did the right thing in moving my rock...I usually see sabaes on the sand bed and that's why I moved stuff around...don't mind the cloudiness due to moving sand about...appreciate the input
:frustrat:

That's not an open gaping mouth. In fact it looks fairly tight to me in the last pic. Let it do its thing and settle. Have you tried feeding it? If so how did it respond?

I just fed it now...OK...I'll let it do its thing and keep u updated...no change after feeding same ol same....clown still hosting em though

Look at the pic...I was referring to the small belly button opening...dunno if that's an opened mouth or not....that's why I was asking for advice

here is what I researched

Things to look for that are a bad sign:

Hides into the rock and does not come out.
Color loss.
tenticales not sticky.
Wont except any food.
appears to be melting

In regards to feeding...not quite... after I fed it , closed a little bit, but didn't seem like much...should I try again? I gave a mix of mysis brine and Cyclops...

Last edited:
After folding over for a lil...the food was gone and he turned back upward....should I try and over feed him..???

No leave it be. Give it a chance to plant it's foot. You have a very young tank and a difficult anemone. Be prepared to move your corals as it tries to settle. The next time you try to feed use a little mysis. Brine is not nutritional.

Small pieces of food are better than big chunks. I would leave the nem be, move the corals away from it and let it settle where it wants to.

OK...now its almost completely turned over...I hope it doesn't drastically raise nitrates on me over night...
IMG_20130314_203319_zps83dbceb4.jpg

What u guys think bout the way it looks now

Turn your power heads off in the tank. Leave your return pump on. Decreasing the flow may allow the anemone to attach. The anemone is becoming more stressed but it still looks pretty good other than being flipped over.

Back