Sad Day

delucs414

Reefing newb
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

So this is where my reefing hobby comes to a stop, well only temporarily. i have to tear down my tank, cuz at the end of my last year of school i will be moving out of town (for a year) to get my full architect license. i don't wanna be moving a tank that far and have it only setup for and year and tear it back down again when i move back to my hometown. So i am gonna sell everything off slowly. thats where i need your guys/gals help, i just wanna get an idea for what i could get for everything, just a estimate.

Corals:
-i have a branching hammer, one with 11 heads and about 5 tiny tiny heads
and a hammer frag with 3 heads
DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

-Electric green candy cane frag with 7 head
DSC_0014.jpg

-fox coral
DSC_0021.jpg

-open brain coral
DSC_0019.jpg

-red/brown chalice
DSC_0025.jpg

-florida ricordea one mouth, second one developing (green mouth, red and purple)
DSC_0007.jpg

Fish:
-2 clowns one is 3-3.5in, other is 2-2.5in
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

-eyelash blenny
DSC_0008-1.jpg

Setup:
-40 gal breeder with home made oak stand
-36" aquaticlife programmable light fixture 4moon leds with new bulbs(bulbs month and a half old)
-2x koralia 750 evo
-1x koralia nano
-algae free piranha magnet cleaner
-coralife 65 gal skimmer
-RKE (4pc, headunit, SL2, Temp probe)
-dual BRS Reactor with 1 lb of rox 8 carbon and 1 lb of GFO, maxi jet 2100
-CPR overflow w/ aqualifter
-fluval 200 watt heater
-DIY 10 gallon sump with 3 chambers and mag 5 pump
DSC_0016.jpg

thanks

So sorry that you have to tear down your tank. That has to be so hard.
I would try looking at craig's list to get an idea what established tanks are going for, that'll give you a bit of a price point.
To me, I'd say maybe $300? Of course it's worth more, but It's hard selling it together b/c not every buyer is going to like every component you have and they'll just use it as a bargaining tool, i.e. I'd offer more, but I don't want a coralife skimmer, or, I don't like those lights, etc.
All it takes is the right buyer though, maybe try listing it with the retail cost of each component and say, make me an offer and see what people are willing to pay.

Yeah thats a bummer for sure. But if you decide to sell them cheap and ship them let me know lol.
And congrats on the architect license. Hope everything wroks out.

Have you considered just selling the livestock and keeping the equipment so you are ready to set up when the time comes?

Shhhhh!!!

I think selling his equipment for a low price is great idea. :roll:

I'm kinda interested in the BRS reactor. How much do you want for it and the pump?

thanks everyone for ur ideas, yea its hard since i love reefing and everything about it. its just getting hard to take care of it right now since its my last year and all my time is focused on school, and cuz I'm so focused on school i don't work as much and can't afford to pay for maintenance/upgrades.

my plan is when i move back to town in 2 years i wanna buy a pre drilled 75 or 90 gal and take my time and do it right, buying a couple vortechs and nice equipment. i was thinking about keeping the RKE but iunno. i am gonna be keeping the sand and rock for when i do setup a new tank.

thanks everyone for the help and the advice i really appreciate it, you guys/gals at LR are truly awesome and i will be sticking around.

Another option is trying to find people through the LFS or a local reef club. It would save people on shipping, allowing you a little more profit.

Since you're planning on staying in the hobby, you're crazy for thinkng about selling all the equipment. Even some of the stuff that you plan on replacing could be used to heat/pump/etc the sump, a smaller frag tank, a water mixing tank, etc - so it could save you $$ holding onto it, esp if you have a spot for it.

-Alex

In my local fish club "delaware valley reef club" we have a thing called "Corals For Charity" where you post your tank break down and break up the coral and products into little groups and let people bid on them. In my club they donate some of the money to the club if not all and i have seen somethings sell for 200% the original cost. Just a thought, check with your LFS if you have something similar. there was just a huge break down of a 75 and a 30 last week

Back