safe to take off the glass top?

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
Is it safe to take off the glass top with the fish I have? I have a green banded goby, 2 clowns, and a mandarin. Lately its been hard to keep the temp down and I also just find it more aesthetically pleasing without the glass top. However, I can never convince myself to take the top off in fear I might lose my pet fish from jumping overboard. With the fish I have is there any chance they might jump?.. if so ill probably continue to play it safe.

Thanks!

sometimes gobies can be jumpers... id remove the glass lid anyway and make something like a screen covering like this
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CzorCknWQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - DIY screen top for aquariums.mpg[/ame]
they dont lock in heat, and its more beneficial for light penetration...

I have a Biocube too and the lids will trap heat in. If you can get a fan to blow under the lid and out the holes near the front you might be able keep the temp down. But in answer to your question, is is NOT safe. Without a lid the fish might jump out. I run my Biocube with a lid for a month or two and then take it off if I see no evidence of a jumper --but even then there is a risk.

Theres always a chance that ANY fish will try carpet surfin. But I think that the benefits of running the tank without the tops still out weights having the tops on.

Back