Saggy Paly

ilyad

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I have been buying a few palys and zoas to add to my collection and two of them are starting to display a behavior which Ive never seen before. When I first got them, one of the palys was looking great and had its tentacles extended out and away from the head, but now it looks like they are sagging down and even somewhat tucked under the head. The other paly has been like that from the day I brought it home (although it did not do that in the store).

Here is the paly before
IMG_1848.jpg

And here is the picture of one of them as it looks right now.
IMG_1858.jpg

Notice how the tentacles are pointed down rather than up, and since that picture it has gotten even more prominent

I havent been able to find any info regarding this anywhere. I have tried moving it up and back down around the tank to see if there is a change, but there is no difference. Anybody have any clue to what is going on?

The readings are as follows.

Temp 79
Mg 1300
Ca 430
Phosphates .08-.10 depends when I feed
Dkh 8
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.025
The flow is about medium. It is enough to sway the longer tenatcles but it's not blowing over anything to one direction

I would look to the phosphates, my friend! My phosphates were in that range and melted my one of my acans completely, and partially melted another one. Try some water changes and maybe some GFO, and see if that helps..........

I would look to the phosphates, my friend! My phosphates were in that range and melted my one of my acans completely, and partially melted another one. Try some water changes and maybe some GFO, and see if that helps..........

I have a phosphate removal pack, so its usually low enough

I wouldnt worry about it, looks like its just stretching back to full size

Yep some days corals just dont feel like opening fully. I wouldnt worry to much.

you guys were right, and in case someone else is looking at this, I found out that paly and zoa corals tend to shed their outside skin once in a while to get rid of built up algae and to promote growth... after I made the post, the next 2 days they polyps looked really flaky and with pieces coming off. Now they're all good and looking great

Back