Sailor's Eyes?

lashlaroo

Reefing newb
My local pet store is about to "Torch" some live rock to get rid of some kind of invertibrate. I'd like help in identifying it. I do not have a picture so I'll try to describe it. Someone has said it might be something called Sailor's eyes but I don't find anything on that name. I like the stuff and want it for my tanks but am concerned it might be a pest since it is very prolific as spreading. It is soft orange in color. It has many tenticles which are bulbed on the tips. There is no real variation in color from trunk to tip. When touched they draw back into the rock where they seem to be stationary. I've watched them and noticed a release from the center into the water that just seemed to be tiny air bubbles. The tank also has bubble algae in it. Do you think I'm treading into troubled waters?

Aiptasia ?

Without a picture it will be difficult to ID. With the description, it sounds like the dreaded Aiptasia anemone. They look like little palm trees to me, and recoil into the rocks when touched. They propagate by pedal laceration, which means if you cut it, you get two. They have many color forms.

More information from the experts can be found here.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Hope this helps. Regards

A copperbanded butterfly fish will eat that stuff all day long, thats how I cured my problem one time. Then I sold the butterfly fish back to the LFS.

Sorry it's not Apstasia

I know apstasia. I'm dealing with them pests right now. A powder form of calcium hydroxide. You just put it in a syringe and apply a touch to each anenome and the shrivel and are gone. I picked up a copper band but he isn't interested, maybe once he becomes accustomed to the tank. Thanks for trying. I'll have to get a picture. I'll probably set up a 30 gallon and buy the rock with this specimen on it so I can do first hand research.

Sorry I should have realized by your experience you would know what an aiptasia is.It was the discription you gave sounds like one.Now I am curious to what this creature is.I find some info I will post.

Last edited:
it's hard without a picture

No need to apologize you were just trying with very limited information for CSI:LivingReefs:). I'm going to pick up a rock with a dozen or so of these specimens on it and begin my own research. When I do I'll get a good picture to post and we can let the detective work begin. I'm really hoping that in a system with good hygiene these nice looking creatures will turn out not to be pests but a manageable addition to the reef. :goldfish:

Update

I picked up the rock with the most specimens on it yesterday. I brought with me to the pet store a cooler with some water from my tide pool in it. The water salinity was slightly high and certainly would not have been a duplicate of the tank environment from which they came. When I got home some eight hours later, a long story, most of them had jumped ship are were little buttons sitting on the bottom of the cooler. There they sit this morning attached to the cooler but obviously not happy campers. There is at least one still attached to the original rock now sitting in the tide pool. I'm going to place some in a large jar with a piece of rock in it to see if I can get one to attach and open then I can get a picture and post it. This is very interesting.

Back