salinity a little high what do I do?

tp1011

Reefing newb
Do I add filtered water with the correct ph to bring down the salinity.

I put ph up in the filtered water right because the water is to acidic out of the filter.
Do I added anything else to the water?

Thanks

+1 2xai....if it's empty, go ahead and add enough rodi or distilled until it's the right level. If you have livestock, you shouldn't lower it too fast, although, fish can usually handle a quick drop in salinity (inverts and corals won't though). Raising salinity rapidly is harder for them to handle.

What are you using to check salinity? Refractometers are more reliable than the swing arm testers.

Also, make sure you're using rodi or distilled. Filtered water is not filtered enough for our tanks.

I normally buy my water from LFS but I just bought a 5 stage filter from BRS So I will
be making my own soon.

And yes I use a refractometer

But do I add ph up and make sure my alkalinity is where it should be.

Are you topping off w/ saltwater or freshwater? Your lfs' saltwater should be on the mark at around 1.024-1.026, and if your salinity is creeping up, either you're not topping off, or your topping off w/ saltwater. Also, did you calibrate your refractometer? If it's none of the above, I'd let your lfs know that they need to check their salt.

Hey flip,
Thank you for helping me, I really never top off
I just do wc with saltwater. Never use freshwater
Just got distilled water I'm going to bring the ph up
And add to tank I am going to start with two gal slowly
So if you think I need to do some thing different let me know

Thanks again

you shouldn't add stuff to raise the pH of your top off water unless you are really trying to raise the pH in your tank. basically what you are doing is just diluting the pH up with freshwater and then adding it to the tank. if your tank's pH is fine then just add the regular untreated distilled water for topping off.

I also have the 29g BioCube and the evaporation is quite fast. When you do the water changes do you ever notice that the level of the water in the back is a bit lower than the front? My evaporates about 1 gallon in a week (give or take). If you're not accounting for that loss in freshwater you will gradually build up the salt level. Only water evaporates and the salt remains. Even if it's only a 1/3 or 1/2 gallon that's enough to start causing issues. I have a RODI system and top off with fresh water every few days to keep the level consistent.

Also, for pH, when are you testing the pH level (before or after the salt addition)? RODI water without salt will play havoc with the pH meter so it's best to test after you've dissolved the salt. You really shouldn't have to add any pH adjustment solutions...

Ok guys, but if your are adding RODI or distilled water wouldn't your ph be to low. I thought
you wanted to match what is in your tank the water you are adding that is. So for example
if your tanks ph was 8.0 then your top off water would be 8.0 or close to it so you would have to add ph up correct. Because distilled ph is 7.2-7.4 you have to add ph up righthttps://www.livingreefs.com/images/smilies/banghead3.gif

Thanks for explaining this to me so many times guys

Back