salinity is .0215!

Hydrometers can be notoriously unreliable. I'd take a sample of your water to your LFS and have them double check, then look into getting yourself a refractometer. You can pick one up (and calibration fluid) for around $25 on amazon or ebay, $50 elsewhere.

I highly doubt that salinity reading is correct, unless you didn't add enough salt when you made the mix (assuming you mixed it yourself).
No, co2 will not affect salinity. It will, however, have an affect on pH.

are you sure that you aren't reading it incorrectly and that you actually mean 1.019, 1.020, etc.? If so, then you aren't that far off on where your salinity should be....

yea, I have measured tap water .000, LFS .019, my tank .020. The meter seems to be off .006. Not mixed myself. Ph is 8.2.
Just to clarify, I hope you mean LFS 1.019 and your tank is 1.020. Just a little FYI, I would not buy water from them anymore if they keep it at 1.019 on purpose. The only reason to keep it that low is save money on salt. Natural seawater is 1.026 SG or 35 ppt.

This is a great article and well worth reading...
Ron Shimek's Website...Critters
"Coral reefs are generally located in areas that have salinities in the range of 35 ppt to 38 ppt. Most of our corals, and the associated fauna including fishes, will live best at those conditions (Weber and White 1976). Most organisms, even osmoconformers, can survive for brief periods in salinities well outside their normal range. But if maintained for longer period outside of that range they will be stressed and eventually will become so damaged that they will die even if returned to their normal salinity. Higher salinity is slightly more tolerable to these animals than is lower salinity, and adult animals are more able to withstand the extremes than are the juveniles or larvae."
"The bottom line for salinities is simple. There is simply no reason at all to maintain the salinities of our systems below normal reef conditions. All reef inhabitants will suffer damage from prolonged exposure to lowered salinities. Invertebrates kept at low salinities often die within a few days to a few months. Given that corals, sea anemones, sponges and some other invertebrates have no old age or senescence (or to put it another way, they are immortal), low salinities result in a quick death. Some mollusks, crustaceans, and most fish kept at low salinities die of kidney failure; it just takes them longer. A fish which dies in a couple of years in a hyposaline aquarium may have had the potential to live more than 20 years had the salinity been appropriate."

Just to clarify, I hope you mean LFS 1.019 and your tank is 1.020. Just a little FYI, I would not buy water from them anymore if they keep it at 1.019 on purpose. The only reason to keep it that low is save money on salt. Natural seawater is 1.026 SG or 35 ppt.

This is a great article and well worth reading...
Ron Shimek's Website...Critters
"Coral reefs are generally located in areas that have salinities in the range of 35 ppt to 38 ppt. Most of our corals, and the associated fauna including fishes, will live best at those conditions (Weber and White 1976). Most organisms, even osmoconformers, can survive for brief periods in salinities well outside their normal range. But if maintained for longer period outside of that range they will be stressed and eventually will become so damaged that they will die even if returned to their normal salinity. Higher salinity is slightly more tolerable to these animals than is lower salinity, and adult animals are more able to withstand the extremes than are the juveniles or larvae."
"The bottom line for salinities is simple. There is simply no reason at all to maintain the salinities of our systems below normal reef conditions. All reef inhabitants will suffer damage from prolonged exposure to lowered salinities. Invertebrates kept at low salinities often die within a few days to a few months. Given that corals, sea anemones, sponges and some other invertebrates have no old age or senescence (or to put it another way, they are immortal), low salinities result in a quick death. Some mollusks, crustaceans, and most fish kept at low salinities die of kidney failure; it just takes them longer. A fish which dies in a couple of years in a hyposaline aquarium may have had the potential to live more than 20 years had the salinity been appropriate."
no misunderstanding. The LFS water is.025/6 my hydrometer is reading thier water @ 1.019 and my tank water @ 1.020 the meter is off .003/6

Back