salinity.......too high?

jlee84

Reefing newb
Hey everybody! thanks for taking the time to look at my question. I just set up a new tank, used live rock and some sand/coral with bacteria already in it. I picked up some damsels and a percula clown. my salinity is a little high and i am worried and messing too much with it. the yellow tail damsels and percula are fine, but i have lost 2/3 domino damsels and the last one is swimming a little funny. what should i do?

How high is the salinity?
As long as your at 1.024 to 1.026,your fine.
If its higher than 1.026,just siphon out a gallon every day when you top the tank off,then replace it with fresh RO water.

its reading a hair under 1.030. it read 1.026 at the shop where i picked up the first fish that i put in. OK i will take a gallon a day out....i guess i am replacing it with fresh water??? do you think that would have something to do with my domino damsels going down and everything else being ok?

How long has ypu tank been set up? Your thread says you just set it up. If that is the case you are no where near ready to have fish in it.

If your tank is established, and has gone through it's full cycle then Yote has you covered.

to be honest, i set it up the day before i put the fish in. I had done this with my only other tank that was saltwater and i never had a problem ( but i also had alot of friends in college that came over almost daily and helped me out). i have always been a cichlid guy. i know its not wise to have fish in this soon, although i did add some water from a tank that was already established(3G), about 15 lbs of liverock and about 25 lbs of sand with existing bacteria in water. i figured all that and a few hardy starter fish might help jumpstart me again.am i crazy??

Your signature line says you have a 55 gallon tank, is that right? And you put in 3 gallons of established tank water to start? 15 lbs of rock? 25 lbs of live sand?

How are you measuring the salinity? Those swing arm things can be off a lot, esp. if you don't rinse them out.

no there is about 50 pounds of sand, just not all live, and there is alot more of lace rock. and 3 gallons of established tank water was all i could come by. i have to drive at least 20 miles to find a shop that sells anything saltwater, so i am working with what i can find.

Those swing arms don't last forever...mine was way off and then I broke down and bought a refractometer....

Well, if you used live rock and live sand, you may not go through a cycle at all anyway. I agree that if you're using a swing arm, you may possibly not be getting an accurate reading (I had good luck with mine...gave the same reading as my refractometer). Better safe than sorry!

At the very least.Take a water sample to LFS and let them test the salinity with a refractometer before you do anything.You've got to know exactly how far off the hydrometers is before you start adjusting salinity.

Back