Salinity

lilyicu

FOWLR
I have my new tank up and running, since yesterday. I have nothing alive in it yet. I have my hydrometer inside which is reading high, but my temp went up to 84 last night. I turned it down slightly this morning. My question is, is there an easier way to determine salinity and specific gravity? There was not a chart with my hydrometer. I have read a whole book on water quality (including the article on this site) and think that I am now more confused than I was this morning. Can I just go by the reading on my hydrometer or is all the math/algebra needed to determine if my saltwater is correct? :frustrat:

Can someone help make this easier for me???? please

Can I just go by the reading on my hydrometer

Yes. Just make sure your hydrometer is working properly by taking a sample of your water to your LFS for a second reading. If they dont match, mark your hydrometer against the results of your LFS.

No math is needed.

You could also get a refractometer from Ebay for about $30, which will be far more accurate than a hydrometer. A good long term investment for this hobby, IMHO.

First, salinity and specific gravity are two different things. For example most reefs tanks maintain a salinity of 35ppt, and a specific gravity of 1.025. Salinity is the concentration of dissolved solids (salt in this case), and specific gravity is the buoyancy of the water as a result of the salt.

Any hydrometer you buy at your local LFS, such as the Red Seas or Instant Ocean hydrometers, will tell you right on it what your results are.

TEAS-TK504.jpg

as you can see from this picture, the salinity reading is on the outside(left), while the specific gravity reading is on the inside(right).

Just like cthegame said, take it to your LFS or a friend's house, somewhere where they can tell exactly what their salinity is... and check it versus your reading. I've seen brand new hydrometers be .004 off.

Definitely look into a hydrometer, it'll pay for itself in worthless hydrometers :P

So, I got home tonight and the tank temp is at 82 and the hydrometer is still pegged at the top. It was working very well yesterday when I added it to the tank. I turned the thermometer down again. When the temp was around 74 it had normal readings. Should I replace some saltwater with freshwater?

So, I got home tonight and the tank temp is at 82 and the hydrometer is still pegged at the top. It was working very well yesterday when I added it to the tank. I turned the thermometer down again. When the temp was around 74 it had normal readings. Should I replace some saltwater with freshwater?

get your tank temp stable at a good 78-80, and take it from there.

Until I can get the refractometer in the mail, what would be the best choice of action right now to normalize the tank?

take a sample water to a fish store and have them test it. If you have too much salt, you will need to add more fresh water to bring it down.

Back