Sally light foot crab

They are not reef friendly. I had two. They killed and ate so many fish, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES, before I was able to catch them. They turn predatorial as they grow larger.

Ugh. I knew it. I was in my LFS a few weeks ago and when I asked what kinds of crabs they had (after telling him I had a reef tank) he tried to convince me to get a Sally Lightfoot. Good thing I knew better...

I was way more creeped out by how low they sit on the sand. And the eyes, too.
Like they're just waiting for you to turn your back and BAM!

i bought one once but i got a small one ... it was a great reef cleaner constantly grazing ... but Biff is right once it got bigger the smaller fish started disappearing ... mostly at night while the fish are hiding it would search them out ... they have a voracious appetite once they get some size to them ... it was hell trying to get it out of my tank and i highly discourage anyone from buying one unless they have all big fish of around 4 - 6" long

They're not reef safe either, If you want a crab for your reef aquarium I'd say stick with emerald, porcelain, trapezia, or pom pom crabs. All of those can be found in a variety of colors and are reef safe.

They are really fast and nimble. Which makes them very interesting to watch when my LFS has them. But, can you imagine the stress of being a fish trying to sleep at night knowing a few of those were running around?

Back