Sally lightfoot

they are good scavengers..but if they get too big it can eat small fish..i lost a occelaris clown that way...be carefull..or to be shure take him out

Definitely skip the sally. I had two in my old tank, within 6 months, they had caught and killed a sixline wrasse and two firefish. Emerald crabs are excellent. Get one of those instead.

I did get a sally from the LFS. He was cool looking and the girl said was very reef safe and just ate algae, did not trust so put him in sump till I got a better opinion on them so thanks he will be easier to catch now and return for the emerald.

Is it nessasary to buy pods? I don't have a fuge. do see a couple here and there. thought there should be more.

Last edited:
IMO,all crabs will go after small fish when they get older.My emerald is getting bigger,it can't catch a fish but sure lunges at them.I hate to see him when he gets even bigger.

No need really to buy pods,give it time and there will be millions.

You've got good advice here.

Sallys are great while their still small.But once they get bigger,they tend to like meals with more more meat.

Took back the sally and did I get the third degree owner said he bin in this hobby for 30 years and never new any body to return a sally from a reef tank in fact they usually come back for more. He said he don't know how my tank will stay clean without them ,they are the only thing that can get into the cracks and on and on he went then moved to the serpent star that every reef tank should have 1 or 2. Then asked where am I getting my Info from, some kids on the net that probably never had a tank before. So cuz of the bad attitude did not get anything else ,probably won't for a while. To bad cuz he had some nice stuff.

Last edited:
For sure. I know FIRSTHAND that sallys will catch and eat any fish that they can fit into their claws and isn't fast enough to get away. Usually the ones that live in and out of the rocks too -- like my firefish and sixline wrasse, RIP. Keep in mind, these guys are running a business. Some people are unscrupulous and will do anything for a sale, unfortunately. Sometimes, I think that they will sell you stuff that will die/kill on purpose, so that you have to come back to them to replace the dead animal.

Biff I totally agree with you on the die/kill.

Yote I think I will have to start ordering on line. It is just hard working it into my work schedule on when they can deliver.
Still some corals that I would like that none of the local lfs have anyway.

I know what you mean about the work schedule JP.
Of course it does give you a good excuse to take a day off.

Back