Sally Lightfoot

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
Just curious if anyone with experience having a SL, how big can they grow? I have had mine for about 2 months now and it has molted 3 times. I fished out the left over skeleton, for curiosity reasons, the first molt and this most recent molt. The crab has almost doubled in size. It is amazing looking at both skins side by side. I am now worried that if it gets to big that it may go after some of my smaller fish. So far it has been a great addition to my tank and very peaceful.

They get big fast. And they will turn carnivorous and go after fish when they get large enough to do so. I used to have two, and they killed a pair of red firefish and a sixline wrasse. If you start seeing it grab at fish that swim by or chase after them, get it out fast.

They can get pretty large, at fosters and smith they have 1 in their SPS frag tank that is huge. I got a smaller one and I havent seen it molt yet in a few months.

This one has done a bang up job keeping things cleaned up in my tank. Maybe i should think about taking it back and buying 2 small ones. I do have about 2 dozen hermits running around in the tank as well. Maybe i could just do without a SL but they are so cool to watch while they work.

Back