Salt Creep questions

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
What do you usually do with your salt creep? on top of my glass cover I have a lot of it and was wondering if you just trash it or put it back in the tank because its pretty much salt right? Also, I saw a product at Petco that claimed it prevents equip from getting salt creep. Anyone tried any products?

I generally brush mine right back into the tank - mostly because it is convenient and it's fun to watch the flakes dissolve! It's an insignificant amount in my tank to have any measurable impact at all on the salinity and its much easier than trying to collect or wipe up the salt and dispose of it.

The only risk I see is if you had a nice coral near the top of the tank and a big hunk of salt landed right on it. It might irritate the coral for the several seconds it would take for the salt to disolve. I've never had it happen.

About once a week or so I do take my glass tops off the tank and rinse the creep off with fresh water then wipe them down with a clean towel. If left on the glass it seems the salt "etchs" or clouds the glass over time. Regular rinses seem to greatly pro-long the life of my tops. The creep also blocks a good deal of your light if allowed to build up.

I have not tried any of the products available to eliminate creep.

I just wipe it off with a wet paper towel. I have never used the salt creep eliminator because I look at it as an chemical that is not needed. I try not to use any chemicals that are not a benefit for anything living.

I just put it back into the tank. I've also never tried that product, although I bought it about two years ago. The bottle is still sitting (unopened) on my tank chemical shelf. I'm too lazy to clean the existing salt creep off to get a clean surface to use the stuff. Yep, I'm that lazy.

I dont have much of a problem with salt creep myself.Maybe a little bit in my sump where the skimmer dumps but thats it.

As for that salt creep eliminator,It dont work.I tryed it when I first got into the hobby and was running emperor filters.It never even slowed it down on my first tank.However,It does work great for cleaning the oil and grease off your hands after you've worked on your vehicle.

I usually just push it back in but only when the lights are out.My fish are dumb an will try to eat it.I use the spray silicone stuff before,it works and does reduce salt creep but it will need to be re-applied every so often.I quit using it,like Biff,I'm to lazy to clean the area first.

I don't get any around the tank. I get a little on the sump where the drain empties. I just scrape it back into the sump.

Back