Salt Mixes and problems

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have been using Reef Crystals for over 2 years. My biggest complaint was the sludge it left in my Brute Cans and the smell of it.

I decided to switch salts to the Red Sea Pro Salt.

2 Changes in I noticed corals dying.

One of my huge Montis is all but dead and so is the piece I grew from it on the other side of the tank. Both orange but my large purple one is fine.

Plate coral started dying but right now it is almost as if it stopped and is almost coming back. It is rare from anything I have read but it still has it's mouth and has stopped receding for sure.

I have a few other corals die as well. I read this happened to other people and was looking for anyone who experienced this or is this typical when changing salts.

I would have guessed this salt was better than Reef Crystals but who knows.

When you change salt, you're supposed to slowly change over to it, I have read that making water changes with the new salt is too much of a change and can shock corals and in some exreme cases, fish and other inverts as well

Well I did do 40Gallons out of 230-240Gallons.

I do 40 every 2 weeks normally. That is almost 20% but not quite.

For all the corals and fish I have the ones with issue is just a couple. Not happy because the Monti is huge but only the orange ones died.

I've changed salts with no problems before and there are people here who buy whatever is on sale, not sticking to one brand. So it seems a bit weird that just changing salt brands would kill your coral. Did you test a batch of freshly made water to see what parameters it's mixing up to? I have heard of bad batches of salt like this case with Reef Crystals.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2204532

Back