Salt Mixes

kbuser92

Breeder
Mod - I hope this is an okay spot for this.

Everybody else - I'm about ready to buy my first BUCKET of salt mix. Upgrading from little bags. :)

I've been using Reef Crystals and I like it a lot. Before we moved and I had corals, it worked well for me. I was thinking either more Reef Crystals or trying to find Aquavitro Salinity, which is about the same price per gallon. But I'm open to suggestions if anybody has anything else.

Thanks, guys.

Price or is it a better mix? I want high quality because I'd like to do this tank right. Going to be mostly LPS, but zoas and a couple montis, too.

I used Topic Martin for a few years without complaint. Then went to Oceanic for a while during the resection hated it, everything was always off a bit. Now I'm using Seachem ReefSalt, everything seems happy and the mix is very consistent.

Price or is it a better mix? I want high quality because I'd like to do this tank right. Going to be mostly LPS, but zoas and a couple montis, too.
I think it is a better salt. Mixes super quick, and clean. Salinity always left a white residue on everything.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll stick with reef crystals. And they're availble everywhere and usually about the cheapest.

I use Aqua Vitro Salinity. I buy the big buckets. I make 50-60g at one time and mix for 24 hours, no more. Otherwise it will start to precipitate and leave a gray film in your container, per the manufacturer. I can attest to this fact. But I've been using this salt for years, first on the old cube and now on my current tank. Using the standard quantity of one cup per 2g of water, it mixes up to 1.026 instead of 1.023 like the other salts, so this makes the salt a little less expensive than it initially seems. And if you like to keep your buckets, this is the best bucket in the biz. Haha :D

The only other salt that I've heard good things but haven't tried is Tropic Marin.

My reef crystals usually mix to 1.025+, but lately I've had to toss an extra 1/4 cup or so in, but I'm t the bottomr of the bag. I'm thinking of buying boxes, now, because the new LFS has them for regular price at $53.99/200 gallons.

Back