Saltmix Comparison Chart

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
NOTE: I did not compile this all credit to that can go to BillyBeau1 of RC but I know that this question has been asked many times so when I stumbled onto it I thought that I would share. The originator of the post said these are genreal figures when mixed at SG 1.0264

Calcium Alkalinity Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens 430 8 1240
CoraLife 560 9 1380
Crystal Sea Marinemix 340 9 1050
Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay 340 9 1050
Instant Ocean 350 12 1070
Kent 540 11 1200
Marine Environment 480 7.5 1450
Oceanic 580 8.5 1650
OceanPure 510 10 1320
Red Sea 400 8 1300
Red Sea Coral Pro 490 7 1300
Reef Crystals 420 12 1260
SeaChem Marine Salt 500 10 1400
SeaChem Reef Salt 540 10 1450
Tropic Marin 375 10 1230
Tropic Marin Pro Reef 450 8.5 1380
Tunze Reef Salt 420 9.5 1350

Last edited by a moderator:
I take all these numbers with a grain of salt (pun intended). I am sure all of us have seen different analysis on all these brands. It seems that everyone who does these tests comes up with different numbers. If we can say that one brand is better than another because it has a calcium 50 higher than another brand (product A = 400, product B= 350) then we have to take into consideration that a test done by another educated person may give us a rating of (product A= 350) which would make those two salts equal.

In addition, I have read many instances when a large bucket may produce a higher/lower reading at different usage levels in the individual bucket, which can also be the case in the factory that makes the salt.

Other main factors that I have seen in other tests that can cause even more debate on these salts goes beyond calcium, alk and mag with things like Boron levels, ph levels, other types of metals and chemical stuff. Some say they don't make a factor and others say they make all the difference.

The best way to pick a salt is by listening to word of mouth and seeing the results first hand. Some salts may work better for some than others, you never know till you try. I have used Oceanic, IO, and now Seachem Reef Salt and I can't say that Seachem Reef is better than the other two because my tank looks better now than it did in the beginning or is it just because my corals have naturally taken their course and have expanded like they are supposed to. Hell, I have Hair algae now and my one frogspawn has a couple heads not coming out. I can't say if that is just the normal cycle or that my salt isn't as good as the one I used before.

I think thats the most I have written overall in the last month.

Last edited:
Another factor you got to look at is the test kits thats used.I have yet to see 2 kits test the same.Most are fairly close,but there is usually at 1 or 2 points different.
I do however know that with Oceanic salt,my coralline grows to the point of becoming a pain in the butt.

I think Tropic Marin Pro is the best stuff for reef tanks, but its expensive and hard to find locally. A 50/50 mix of IO and Oceanic gives really good results as well, but then you have to mix it yourselves.

Too bad he didn't post pH.

I'm back to Oceanic after near disaster when switching to Kent for a couple weeks. The Oceanic works well for me and I know how to buffer it to get the parameters where I want.

I'll never stray from Oceanic again.My corals do better,I have fewer algae problems,and dont have to fight my calcium levels as much.
I tryed Kent,and didnt even finish the bucket.My calcium and alkalinity levels bottomed out,and I had one hell of an algae bloom.Which I'm still trying to fight.

Thats the trick, finding what works best in your tank. You can examine what levels each salt has, but in the end it comes down to what works the best for you. I have tried TMP and didn't find that it justified the extra expense, but Reef Crystals is still one of my favorites and have found that my SPS do a little better than when I use IO alone.

I'll never stray from Oceanic again.My corals do better,I have fewer algae problems,and dont have to fight my calcium levels as much.
I tryed Kent,and didnt even finish the bucket.My calcium and alkalinity levels bottomed out,and I had one hell of an algae bloom.Which I'm still trying to fight.

When I switched to Kent, my alk and pH dropped off the face of the planet. I used it for 2 water changes (8g total) and then put it in the storage room and taped the lid up tight so it wouldn't draw moisture. Tried to sell a whole bucket of it locally for $40 and nobody would take it.

I ended up buying another bucket of Oceanic and will probably never switch again.

I did find ONE thing that kent is good for Rc.It makes a great salt lick for whitetails.They love the stuff.

Back