saltwater aquarium build

I have a question about plumping. The overflow the piping will be 1 ¼” and the return pump is ¾” is this fine? Or should they both be the same size? I think that I am going to use a ball valve in both lines and a check valve on the pump line. Would this be correct? Any input will be helpful.

They don't need to be the same size. In fact, when tanks are drilled, the drain is usually much larger than the return.

You don't need to put a ball valve on the drain line, but you can if you want to. A ball valve is necessary on the return line.

When you plumb the return, it's also a good idea to make a T from the return pump. One end of the T goes to the main tank, the other end of the T goes back to the sump. You put the ball valve on the line that goes back to the sump. This way, you can control flow by diverting water back to the sump, without putting back-pressure on the pump.

That sound right - I will do this when I start my plumbing this weekend, hopefully. I’m going to order my RO/DI unit today, but my lights might have to wait until next month.

Another update, I have the plumping completed. Well, 99% of it anyway, I still need a ¾” check valve, but I will have to get it online because there isn’t any in the city :frustrat: The drain line from the overflow is 1” and I have a ball valve on it because I have about 4 feet of head on the pump, so it’s there just case the pump can’t keep up with the overflow. I also have a T and a ball valve on the pump so I can redirect the water back into the sump if the pump is too fast for the overflow, without putting back pressure on the pump (Thanks Biff) .

Attachments

• IMG00254.jpg
    IMG00254.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG00255.jpg
    IMG00255.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG00256.jpg
    IMG00256.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 279
Looks good. Wouldn't worry about the pump keeping up, the overflow will only drain out as much as it gets back provided you have the correct amount of water in the system. I like having the valve on the drain for maintenance.

You might want to up it to the nova extreme pros with 6 bulbs.
I didn't go through the entire thread but I assume you're still doing a 50 gallon tank? The 4 bulb fixture will only give you about 3 watts per gallon (individual reflectors aside) and you probably won't be able to keep any high light-demanding corals or clams under that.
And that's a great powerhead, but you'll want to get more smaller ones for a more chaotic flow.

Thanks for bringing that up, but you made me sad lol. I also just read I am going to need at least 4W/Gallon, which mean I need to drop like $400 on the Nova Extreme Pro. Ahhh that’s crazy.

Crazy, but VERY worth it. You will be happier in the end :)

I wish i knew all this when i started my tank and i wouldnt have had to buy this Mhalide for 350 dollars and would have bought a 2ft lighting of a different kind.

Sorry Ebay links are blocked at my work so I can't see what you linked to :(

But is that a 4-bulb T5 fixture? For a 50 gallon tank?

If so, I think that will work. I used a 4-bulb 48" T5 fixture of my 55 gallon tank for years. I kept SPS, clams, anemones -- all the light demanding animals, with no problems.

Yeah that was the original one I looked at.
Current Nova Extreme 36" T5HO Aquarium Light 156W $240 + Shipping
Now this is the new one I’m looking at:
Current Nova Extreme PRO 36" T5HO Light 234 Watts $363 + Shipping
So I don’t know what to do. I know that lights are very important and that I shouldn’t cheep out on them, but I also have to get a pile of more stuff. Not to mention that here live rock is $12-$13 / lbs. Corals and stuff are even more nuts. I feel like this rate it’s going to take me another six months before water lol!!

You should order your live rock from Drs. Foster and Smith. They have cheap shipping ($7or $8 regardless of the size of your order) and their live rock is usually $3 to $5 a pound; even cheaper if you can get it on sale.

Thanks. Yeah - I am going to have to find a place in Eastern Canada to get it online, it’s hard to ship to Newfoundland most times though. I will try and figure out my light later, my RO/DI is first anyway. I think both the 6 and 4 bulb Nova are a good choice either way.

I was thinking about going with this for my sand: Carib Sea Ocean Direct Natural Liv. and getting about 25lbs of base CARIB SEA - PRIMO REEF ROCK, and about 50lbs of live. Does anyone have any experance with this rock and/or sand? Also I was thinking of going with Instant Ocean Sea Salt. Thanks.

Instant Ocean salt is fine for fish only tanks or reefs with mostely softies, but once you get into SPS and stuff you'll want to look into the more mineral enriched salts.

And there are mixed opinions on the bagged "live" sand. Many people think the amount of life in there is pretty insignificant and not worth the extra money. I have personally found tons of amphipods and even nassarius snails in the bagged sand so I think there's definetly some value to it.

But as long as you get plenty of live rock your dry sand will quickly become "seeded" with life regardless.

Carib live is just as cheap as their dry sand so why not.Same sand I used to set up my tank several years ago.I don't know anything about the primo rocks.

I use instant ocean reef crystals. The calcium is about 440, dkH 8 running at salinity of 1.026 So I'm pretty happy with the formula.

No much of an update, was a little delayed, but just paid for the Ro/DI unit from filter direct, should be here in 2 weeks or so.

Attachments

• rodi.jpg
    rodi.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 237
Back