saltwater aquarium build

Well I think that I am going to sell my mountain bike and put the money toward the tank. So hopefully I can get things moving along a little faster, cause I’m very tempted to just put it all on the credit card now lol.
Any Newfoundlanders on here what to buy a bike lol?

Attachments

• IMG00272.jpg
    IMG00272.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 244
Did the water filter arrive yet? I'm really happy with mine, the only problem is my water pressure isn't very high so it's really slow to make water.

No the filter isn’t here yet I’m not expecting it until this week maybe Friday, but I did sell the bike today so I will be putting in a big order this week for the rest of the stuff I need. I have low water pressure to, so I guess I might have the same problem.

Just placed a massive order!!! Only a matter of time now:bounce::bounce::sfish::^:

New Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump / Powerhead (750 gph) X 2
Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite Basic Controller
Current USA 6x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO (36")
Ebo Jager 100W Heater (12 inch) X 2
CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand (30 lbs) X 2
Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer
Two Little Fishies AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty (Stone Grey)
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Wow that's a lot of stuff! Cool! Should have gone with a refractometer instead of the hydrometer though -- hydrometers are inaccurate and need to be replaced every 6 months. Refractometers last forever!

Oh well I didn’t know that the refractometer was better than a hydrometer, but I guess I will use it for now anyway, I was planning on getting the DA Salinity probe for the RKL eventually.

I got the filter today and when I took it out of the box and started to install it I noticed that there was an end that didn’t go anywhere and upon further inspection I noticed that it was a broken connection on the auto shut off valve which leads to section 5. You can see this from the pics I attached. I think that if I had another auto shut off switch then I could easily fix this problem, so I contacted the company and I am hoping that they will express post the part to me asap.

Attachments

• IMG00284.jpg
    IMG00284.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG00283.jpg
    IMG00283.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG00282.jpg
    IMG00282.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG00280.jpg
    IMG00280.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 265
I got my check valves come from Ebay today. I have two and I was thinking of using both of them on my pump line, just to have extra protection from a back siphon. Can this be done? I assume so.

Yeah it can be done. Just don't rely on check valves alone. Be sure to drill a hole in each of your returns, right at the water line. That way the back siphon will break as soon as they start draining.

Wow that sucks big time, and I really don’t want to ruin my new carpet. I will be sure to drill that hole and use both check valves and replace them every year. Thanks

That sucks about the filter not being able to work straight away. My experience with them was very positive so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a replacement part.

That sucks about the filter not being able to work straight away. My experience with them was very positive so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a replacement part.

Yeah it sucks, I have a new part on the way but I was hoping to start making the water by now. Filter Direct took care of it right away though. The rest of my stuff is scheduled to be here on Friday, and I was going to have things up and running this weekend. I think I am going to have to fix it with some glue and plumbers putty until the new part arrives.

So I was thinking this regarding fish, but I not very experienced, so would any of these be a bad choice or not get along in my system (50g with 10g sump):
1 – Coral Beauty
1 – Flame Angel
2 – Clowns Ocellaris
1 – Green Mandarinfish
1 – Yellow Tang
1 – Firefish
(If there was room a Blackray Shrimp Goby)

The coral beauty and flame angels most likely end up fighting. You'll probably have to pick just one of the angels. Also, what's the length of your tank, I think it will be too small for the yellow tang.

Back