*Saltwater Aquarium Enthusiast*

If you do decided to go the seahorse route make sure you do tons of research, they really arent a great beginner fish and they require a very different setup than your typical reef.

Here is a good article on them that will help you get started on your research:
https://www.livingreefs.com/seahorse-101-please-read-if-you-considering-seahorses-t33575.html

Thank you I'll be sure to check that out. Is there a "easier" seahorse? I saw on Petco.com, that there were smaller ones and the ones that get really big.

Thank you I'll be sure to check that out. Is there a "easier" seahorse? I saw on Petco.com, that there were smaller ones and the ones that get really big.

OMG NO PETCO SEAHORSES!!!!!

Sorry, but im 100% sure that will be the worst mistake you ever make, and will result in dead seahorses.

Please read the article, it will show you reputable place to buy seahorses and im sure you will see why im so upset about petco selling seahorses.

OMG NO PETCO SEAHORSES!!!!!

Sorry, but im 100% sure that will be the worst mistake you ever make, and will result in dead seahorses.

Please read the article, it will show you reputable place to buy seahorses and im sure you will see why im so upset about petco selling seahorses.

Thanks! We don't wanna make any mistakes. We do have a saltwater fish place called "Fish Garden", I think we're gonna go there to get our fish & stuff :)

Sorry, as im sure you will figure out im always out to defend the fish that arent in the right sized tank or were improperly acquired and housed. Considering this hobby has such a horrible reputation, and some of it well deserved, i do my best to try and change that by promoting responsible reefing.

Anyways, seahorses can and should be bought captive breed. Wild caught seahorses often come with parasite, dont eat frozen food and dont adapt to tank life very well. They are also an endangered species, so we shouldnt be removing them from the ocean anyways. The seahorses petco sells im sure are wild caught and probably very poorly cared for previous to them being shipped to you. Also, petco isnt going to provide you with the info you need to set up a correct tank for them (they are not reef fish) or probably send you fish that are going to make it anyways.

I actually had no idea that they sold seahorses prior to your post, and im not very happy to learn it.

The rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per gallon. But you only need to buy one little piece of live rock and the rest dry. Everything in your tank will become live after you cycle your tank. All "live" means is that it has a population of bacteria living on it that can process wastes into less toxic compounds.

A great place to buy dry rocks is this place: MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Its light, porous and fits together well, plus it looks stellar.

The rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per gallon. But you only need to buy one little piece of live rock and the rest dry. Everything in your tank will become live after you cycle your tank. All "live" means is that it has a population of bacteria living on it that can process wastes into less toxic compounds.

A great place to buy dry rocks is this place: MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

Its light, porous and fits together well, plus it looks stellar.

Thanks! That site is WAY cheaper on rock than Petco.. I found some that was 5.5lbs and added 7 to my cart to make 38lbs.. it equaled $173!! Is it okay to get live rock shipped?

What do you mean by this? "But you only need to buy one little piece of live rock and the rest dry."

I would actually get your live rock right from that other fish place you mention, that way you dont have to pay for shipping. Also, check out cragslist, there are always lots of people getting out of the hobby selling off their stuff for cheap.

Plus, unless you are ordering from TBS, you are actually going to get dead/dying live rock that will stink up your house in the worst way possible until it re-cures itself.

And you only need to buy one rock, of maybe 2 or 3 lbs, that will be more than enough to seed your dry rock.

I would actually get your live rock right from that other fish place you mention, that way you dont have to pay for shipping. Also, check out cragslist, there are always lots of people getting out of the hobby selling off their stuff for cheap.

Plus, unless you are ordering from TBS, you are actually going to get dead/dying live rock that will stink up your house in the worst way possible until it re-cures itself.

And you only need to buy one rock, of maybe 2 or 3 lbs, that will be more than enough to seed your dry rock.

I added some of the fiji livejust to my cart and it has free fedex shipping :) We will probably get it from the fish garden though. We have been on craigslist for days!! LOL.. there are SO many people right now selling their setups.

Eww stinking rock.. bleh! It's all very confusing.. I thought I needed about 30lbs of rock.. but you say one rock?

You just need one piece of live rock to seed all the dry rock. In total you need about 30 lbs of rock though.

Dry rock, is dry rock. Live rock has bacteria on it. Dry rock will become live rock by being in your tank, because bacteria will grow on it.

Which is why you only need one piece of live rock to turn all of your dry rock into live rock.

You just need one piece of live rock to seed all the dry rock. In total you need about 30 lbs of rock though.

Dry rock, is dry rock. Live rock has bacteria on it. Dry rock will become live rock by being in your tank, because bacteria will grow on it.

Which is why you only need one piece of live rock to turn all of your dry rock into live rock.

Oh..I see now. So, we can buy dry rock.. say 25lbs and then buy a 5lb live rock and it'll make the dry rock, live? :) It's starting to make sense :-p

Welcome to the site and hobby! Take your time and read, read, read, and keep reading. My clown is 5 years old with no anemone, fyi. This site gives you real life experiences and not a LFS sales pitch to keep their reveune stream coming in.

Back