Saltwater Questions

dragonet123

Reefing newb
Hello Everybody!!
I have been doing freshwater aquariums for a really long time now, and I just gotten an interest in saltwater aquariums. I have a bunch of questions that I need answers to. Spare me, I do not know much!

1. What is the difference between a radiometer and a hydrometer?
2. Can I use any aquarium and filter for a saltwater tank?
3. What is the difference between specific gravity and salinity?
4. When I set up my saltwater tank what do I have to check daily, once a week, ect.
5. What kind of parameters do I have to check
6. I live by a water source that has parameters are acceptable for freshwater aquariums. I don't have to filter it. Can I use regular tap water for my saltwater aquarium?
7. Can I use regular salt to make saltwater?
8. What is live rock and live sand?

Thank you so much!!

Hello Everybody!!
I have been doing freshwater aquariums for a really long time now, and I just gotten an interest in saltwater aquariums. I have a bunch of questions that I need answers to. Spare me, I do not know much!

1. What is the difference between a radiometer and a hydrometer? The way the measure salinity. Hydrometer is notorious for being inaccurate. Invest in a refractometer.
2. Can I use any aquarium and filter for a saltwater tank? Yes, but, live rock and sand will be your natural filtration.
3. What is the difference between specific gravity and salinity? I'm not positive, but SG is how many PPM of salt in the water (Could be wrong here, someone else would have to chime in)
4. When I set up my saltwater tank what do I have to check daily, once a week, ect. Salinity, PH, Temp, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates <--- Fish only Aquariums/ Fish only with Live Rock. For Reef tanks, there are many more tests.
5. What kind of parameters do I have to check. See above.
6. I live by a water source that has parameters are acceptable for freshwater aquariums. I don't have to filter it. Can I use regular tap water for my saltwater aquarium? Most recommend getting a RO/DI unit. It will save you trouble with nuisance algae. I use tap water, but, I still dechlorinate it before putting it into my system.
7. Can I use regular salt to make saltwater? Like Table Salt? No, use aquarium salt.
8. What is live rock and live sand? Live rock and sand has beneficial bacteria built up in it that helps complete the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia > Nitrites > Nitrates. To get rid of Nitrates, do water changes.

Thank you so much!!

Only advice I can give you besides that, is do LOTS of research :)

Hello Everybody!!

1. What is the difference between a radiometer and a hydrometer?
One is more accurate than the other.

2. Can I use any aquarium and filter for a saltwater tank?
Depends on what you want to do tank wise. No on the filter. Most reef tanks are drilled for an overflow to have a sump.
3. What is the difference between specific gravity and salinity?
Same thing. Basically how much salt is in your water.
4. When I set up my saltwater tank what do I have to check daily, once a week, ect.
Weekly.
5. What kind of parameters do I have to check
Salinity, Nitrates, Nitrites, pH for basic stuff. If you want hard corals add on Calcium, Magnesium and others.
6. I live by a water source that has parameters are acceptable for freshwater aquariums. I don't have to filter it. Can I use regular tap water for my saltwater aquarium?
No. Ro/DI water is needed or algae will break out.
7. Can I use regular salt to make saltwater?
no
8. What is live rock and live sand?
Sand and Rock that have been in a salt water environment that have all the bacteria to help filter the water.

Thank you so much!!

Basic answers, don't have a lot of time.

Back