saltwater reef equipment question

P3-GMR15

Reefing newb
hello, I plan on setting up a 55 gallon reef that will be heavily stocked, but not overstocked with fish: heniochus butterfly, blue tang, ocellaris clownfish and picasso triggerfish. I will also have various soft corals and 45lbs of LR. knowing that the bio-load will be higher than the average reef, what will be all the necessary equipment for this kind of setup besides the tank itself; filtration, lighting.... I do have an idea of what I need but im still confused. THANKS!

oh wow hah. well im positive the butterfly and triggerfish wont work out because theyll grow much too large for a 55. plus typically triggers+coral=bad and if im not mistaken the same goes for butterflies. also the tang likely will be a disaster in that tank... the only tang you could really keep would be a yellow tang or a yellow eye kole but even those are not recommended.

as for the equipment... for the filtration a sump setup is best which is a small tank under your main tank that is broken into sections for a protein skimmer [a necessity], and a refugium [an option but very very very good idea]. the refugium is a place away from predators where beneficial macro algae, live rock, and copepods can thrive. its best to set the lighting for your fuge to a schedule opposite that of your main tank... this is to balance the pH in your tank through out a 24 hour period. for light if you plan on keeping coral i would go with a minimum of a 4 bulb 48 inch t5 set up for a total of 216 watts. the light should be 50% actinic blue light and 50% daylight with a kelvin reading of 10,000-14,000. most fixtures come with the bulbs necessary. i think that just about covers it please fill anything in i missed guys.

ummn ive had a saltwater tank for like 3-4mo and he says he hes had 6yrs expeirence,again sorry for spelling,doesnt this remind u of sum1????? saltwaterking? and if it isnt him sorry for battering u and welcome to the site,any questions u have will be awnsered

Thanks for taking the time for my questions! and I have one more question; since having a refugium in the sump is optional, will it work out with an eshopps reef sump with just a protein skimmer in it as filtration. thanks again.

yeah,all u really need for filtration is live rock,natural filter and the skimmer and you need powerheads or sumthing for flow

Yeah just using a protein skimmer will be fine. As long as you have live rock. As others have pointed out, the fish you have chosen are too large for a 55 and probably won't do well in a tank that size. If you have your heart set on those particular fish, then you will want to start out with a bigger tank.

Welcome to the site!

No, freshwater is totally different... Almost nothing from freshwater applies to saltwater. :(

In saltwater, the general rule of thumb for stocking is 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons. So in a 55 gallon tank, you are limited to 5 or 6 1-inch long fish. That rules out...most fish. If you like big fish like tangs and triggers, you really need a bigger tank. There are plenty of really nice small fish that do well in a 55, though. My first tank was a 55.

Also, things take longer in saltwater. You can't just add a bunch of fish. It usually takes a month or two for your tank to initially cycle before you can put anything living in it. And after that, it's wise not to add more than 1 fish every 3 weeks.

nope,completely different,sorry for battering u,look at saltwaterking posts and ull see y we were woundering lol,ive had fresh tanks since i can rembr but saltwater is nothing alike

i find fire fish are way to shy in my experiences after 2 weeks gone no where to be seen and all i have in my tank is a fire fish and 2 clowns lol

Like everyone else said the butterfly, trigger and tang are too large for a 55.

Some people like to pick the fish they decide they *must* have and then design a tank around that.

A lot of people use Live Aquaria as a quick reference guide as they have quite a few fish listed and it is relatively accurate.

While you are researching pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Professional/dp/1890087998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281935745&sr=8-1-spell]Amazon.com: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for…[/ame]

Many people consider it "The Bible" of salt water reef keeping and it's loaded with accurate and up to date advice

Most of all; take it slow and ask advice.

Welcome to the site!

+ 1 Dakwan

P3, Welcome to the site!

Take Dakwan's advice and pick up that book. Read it from cover to cover before getting anything for your salt setup - it will save you headaches ;)

Back