Salutations! Mandarin owner

I'm off to get a turkey Baster today to target feed mine. It loves it's brine and mysis shrimp, but lately it's been too slow to get much off the other fish in the tank.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the assimilation method. I only have 1 fish in my tank but others have witnessed pellet consumption when other fish in the tank eat them in front of the mandarin.

quick update on Sony, I think she's a he! Can anyone confirm? First time I see the fins come out after almost 3 weeks in my tank. Maybe s/he is feeling more comfortable now? Getting a bit chubbier but still kinda skinny. I can see the neck and throat filling up.

15ywupx.jpg

Look awesome! Your doing great with the frozen. And you are correct she is actually a he :) congrats! The extra fin is awesome when flared up :)

I really want a royal dottyback but think i'll be headed for trouble with the two together. Maybe if I can find one half the size of the mandarin it might be docile towards it.

I'm getting a little worried about my mandarin. Its always been chubby but I have noticed a bit of thinning behind the fins. The head still looks fat.

I've actually been getting food to it using the turkey baster and it looks to be eating most days.

I'm getting a little worried about my mandarin. Its always been chubby but I have noticed a bit of thinning behind the fins. The head still looks fat.

I've actually been getting food to it using the turkey baster and it looks to be eating most days.

Often you will see that the head of a fish will not lose nearly as much of it's size when compared to it's stomac area when it becomes thin. This is because there is a lot more bone in the head forming the skull that makes it keep it's shape. Plus I don't believe any animal reserves fat in it's head. It's really good that your mandarin is eating frozen, but if you aren't feeding him multiple times a day it could be that he still isn't getting enough to eat. They are a fish that constantly grazes for food after all.

update, my tank cracked and I had to put everything in buckets on Friday. Sony has not eaten since then and has been motionless and not responsive to live food in front of her or anything else for that matter. The only movement he has exhibited was trying to jump out of the bucket (5 gal filled halfway) when I came to look at him. I am heartbroken. I don't think he will make it. He is still breathing but when I put live brine in front of him they start nibbling on him. Is there anything at all I can do? Please help.

That sucks -- sorry to hear that. Any chance you can bring the fish to your LFS for safe keeping until you get your tank straightened out? It should be fine in a bucket as long as it has flow and the correct temperature. But if it's acting weird, then you'll have to move it to a more appropriate place. How did your tank crack?

I installed a probe type chiller and the probe was pretty close to the chamber wall closest to the tank. I'm thinking when I tightened the inner nut, it put pressure on the back glass. It cracked about an hour after installation. Last 3 days have been a nightmare.

I'm sorry; that really sucks. :( Like Biff said, you could try taking the mandarin to an LFS. Do you have a spare aquarium you could set-up (like a QT tank) or maybe something you could get off Craigslist for cheap and turn into a temporary aquarium? I would recommend putting a piece of LR in the bucket with the mandarin or the jar that you trained him to eat out of. It would give him a place to hide and make him feel more comfortable - if he feels more at home, he might eat...

Good luck.

I'll bring him tomorrow but they haven't been very helpful. I think i'm just gonna pick this up and make a qt tank just for him. Cheap huh? And only 6 blocks from my apt.

Didn't get a qt tank but the clown started nipping at him so I took the clown and the hermit crabs out. In the last couple of hours Sony has been responsive when I approach the tank which is a great start.Very occasionally he is seen swimming around the tank. Trying to keep live brine in his path. I see him looking at live rock but no picking or eating.

Last edited:
Quick update. Qted mandarin. Fully recovered. Eating pods and live brine but lost interest in the frozen brine and mysis I worked so hard in training him to eat! Put them both together this morning and they seem happy and playful. Clown follows mandarin everywhere. Here are some pics.

18hrsy.jpg

i3bat3.jpg

28b8rjd.jpg

28pliu.jpg

35k3leu.jpg

Last edited:
Back