Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

I got a new coral! :)

DSC05215.jpg

I've always wanted a bubble coral! It's one of the corals that I had wanted in my aquarium before I even owned an aquarium!! :mrgreen:

Also, I placed an order with Mr. Coral! My first Mr. Coral order!! I'm pretty excited! :^: It will ship out tomorrow, and should arrive Wednesday. Pics coming soon! :bounce:

Great pic of that bubble! When you get your order in make sure you dip all the corals, I've never gotten an order from them without a few pest hitchhikers.

Interestingly, a few of the corals are coming back with different color hues. Is this common after an ammonia spike? Will they eventually go back to the colors that they were before the ammonia spike? Two of my zoa frags look almost like different species altogether now. And, some of my corals have come back with intenser hues.

Y dont know much about corals in captivity but I do Know what is a coral 'cus I've done a few researches for college on coral bleaching. When a coral bleaches is because the zooxanthellae algae, that lives in the tissue of the coral, gives his bright colors and most of their nutrients in forms of simple sugar thanks to the photosyntesis, is stressed because of a change in water quality and starts producing toxins that acumulates inside the tissue of the polyps. This eventually results with the expulsion of the algae to the water. Studies made by an Italian institute of marine biology in Viena...I think...discovered that bleached corals, once the water parameters are optimum again, can grab zooxathellae from the water into their tissues, this giving the coral its colors with time(this is with SPS I dont know if Soft corals aply). IMO, the variation in color after they bleached may had happen because they took other types of zooxanthellae than the others they had before the spike into their tissue.

Imagine this; You have a variety of corals with a variety of colors(thanks to zooxathelle) and then all of your corals get rid of their algae, giving the corals a chance to "exchange" zooxanthellae....and the result; A change of color among the corals.

But thats just my opinion, is not a fact. Hope I helped a bit :)

PS: Amazing Tank, great taste on your selection

Michael
:bowdown::sfish:

Last edited:
I'm sure some of the colors differences are due to the new lighting as well. I've taken crags from my nano and moved them into my 75 and they will look totally different under the extra T5s.

Y dont know much about corals in captivity but I do Know what is a coral 'cus I've done a few researches for college on coral bleaching. When a coral bleaches is because the zooxanthellae algae, that lives in the tissue of the coral, gives his bright colors and most of their nutrients in forms of simple sugar thanks to the photosyntesis, is stressed because of a change in water quality and starts producing toxins that acumulates inside the tissue of the polyps. This eventually results with the expulsion of the algae to the water. Studies made by an Italian institute of marine biology in Viena...I think...discovered that bleached corals, once the water parameters are optimum again, can grab zooxathellae from the water into their tissues, this giving the coral its colors with time(this is with SPS I dont know if Soft corals aply). IMO, the variation in color after they bleached may had happen because they took other types of zooxanthellae than the others they had before the spike into their tissue.

Imagine this; You have a variety of corals with a variety of colors(thanks to zooxathelle) and then all of your corals get rid of their algae, giving the corals a chance to "exchange" zooxanthellae....and the result; A change of color among the corals.

But thats just my opinion, is not a fact. Hope I helped a bit :)

PS: Amazing Tank, great taste on your selection

Michael
:bowdown::sfish:

I've heard the same thing. There's no way to find out if the corals did really swap zooxanthellae, but it seems possible that they did! :Cheers: And, thanks for the kind words about my set-up. :D

I'm sure some of the colors differences are due to the new lighting as well. I've taken crags from my nano and moved them into my 75 and they will look totally different under the extra T5s.

Yes, the lights definitely played a role in deepening the hues of the corals! I still can't get over how much greener my montis are now! :mrgreen:

I traded a frag of my ORA Miami Orchid Staghorn and my Blue Formosa Staghorn for a frag of ORA Red Planet two nights ago. I'm in LOVE with this new coral! :heartpump Check it out!

DSC05357.jpg

DSC05459.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with my Mr. Coral order, but I could have been happier. Some of the frags I bought (in particular the acans and chalices) are smaller than I thought they'd be. And, a couple of the frags seem to have had a rough time shipping - some of the corals weren't underwater when they arrived; Mr. Coral should have packaged them better. The biggest complaint is that one frag of bluish clove polyps was essentially missing: The bag contained the frag plug covered in hair algae (like 2" long HA), and the polyps were MIA (I assume they got pulverized in shipping or the HA smothered them).

But like I said, all in all I'm happy. The majority of the frags have opened up nicely today. I'll try to get some pics up soon...

No, I didn't contact them. I thought about it, but it was really just that one coral. Maybe I should have. I don't know. I'm pretty over it already. And, yes, I'll work on pictures! ;)

Back