Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Finally! Here are the Mr. Coral frags! :D

First off, I got some acans. I've never kept acans before, so I'm pretty psyched about these lil' guys!

Amazing Acan:
DSC05488.jpg

Last Samurai Acan:
DSC05491.jpg

Holy Cow Acan (suffered a lot from shipping, and you can see its skeleton poking through :grumble:):
DSC05458.jpg

I also got a Superman Chalice:
DSC05468.jpg

Some Fruit Loop Zoas (they look like morphs, though, not real Fruit Loops):
DSC05494.jpg

Perfect 10 Zoas:
DSC05492.jpg

Magician Palys (the ones that I got at the TBRC frag swap died so I bought these to replace them):
DSC05501.jpg

When I ordered from Mr. Coral they had a deal going on that you got 2 free frags with every 4 frags purchased, so here are my freebies...

Pink Zoas:
DSC05506.jpg

Purple People Eater Favia:
DSC05507.jpg

Superman Zoas:
DSC05504.jpg

Blazin' Watermelon Chalice:
DSC05378.jpg

Unfortunately, it's been almost a week now since the Mr. Coral order came in, and it seems that a few of the frags are looking worse. The acan that wasn't looking so hot when it arrived looks like it has taken a turn for the worse. The two chalices aren't looking so good either. Both of them have bleached pretty badly. The chalices are only about the size of my thumb nail, and I think they were just really fragile to begin with. I've been moving the corals around my tank trying to make them happier. I guess we'll just see what happens... I think for now on, I'll stick to buying locally... :neutral:

Unfortunately, it's been almost a week now since the Mr. Coral order came in, and it seems that a few of the frags are looking worse. The acan that wasn't looking so hot when it arrived looks like it has taken a turn for the worse. The two chalices aren't looking so good either. Both of them have bleached pretty badly. The chalices are only about the size of my thumb nail, and I think they were just really fragile to begin with. I've been moving the corals around my tank trying to make them happier. I guess we'll just see what happens... I think for now on, I'll stick to buying locally... :neutral:

Seems you have my problem. I cant keep chalices or acans for the life of me. Ive been told it might be linked to my mag levels. No fish stores around here sell decent mag tests so im sol. Have you tested your mag levels Sam? Also just like Alex said. Did you light acclimate them?

I did acclimate them. They spent a day at the bottom on the sandbed, and then I moved them up the next day. If they looked okay, I glued them that afternoon; if they didn't, I relocated them. Now I've moved the chalices and acans that are bleaching downward again further from the light.

I haven't tested my Mag levels, but I think I have a kit somewhere (might be expired). I'll check it out...

Thanks guys!

Only a day? I keep mine on the bottom for 3 or 4 days and then very slowly move them to where i want them to go.

But you should check out the mag stuff as well.

Only a day? I keep mine on the bottom for 3 or 4 days and then very slowly move them to where i want them to go.

I thought a day was enough, but maybe I should have waited. I kept them all low level when I moved them up. In any case, I've moved them back lower as of yesterday so hopefully things turn around... :-?

I got distracted with school and my 47 gallon, but I'll get on it tomorrow morning! Hopefully I actually have a Mag kit and it's not expired...

That acan you had, where you saw the skeleton poking through. Do it's feeders come out at night? If so, you should try feeding it something small like brine or chopped mysis. Feeding it will help it to grow it's tissue back (overfeeding it will cause the tissue to grow too quickly for the skeleton). You'd be surprised how resilient they can be, I have one that lost all of it's tissue and was just a skeleton. A week ago, I looked in my tank and saw that it had started growing two of it's heads back.

my mr coral outcome was similar. My acan looks fine but some days looks a little boney compared to others. my hellboy on acid has begun bleaching out on the sides and im affraid will only get worse as well. and as for my fungia frag i got from him, ive seen the polyps once or twice....

That acan you had, where you saw the skeleton poking through. Do it's feeders come out at night? If so, you should try feeding it something small like brine or chopped mysis. Feeding it will help it to grow it's tissue back (overfeeding it will cause the tissue to grow too quickly for the skeleton). You'd be surprised how resilient they can be, I have one that lost all of it's tissue and was just a skeleton. A week ago, I looked in my tank and saw that it had started growing two of it's heads back.

Thanks for the advice, Brian. I tried feeding it some mysis and brine two nights ago. I didn't see any tentacles out, though, when I fed the acan. I'll look tonight to see if it extends any tentacles and try feeding it again if it does.

Okay, I just tested my Magnesium and its at 1160ppm according to the Red Sea kit I own (I know Red Sea can be inaccurate, but it's all I had). Is 1160ppm bad?

Also, I just looked at the poor acan for the first time this morning, and it looks like it's a goner. I can't see any flesh on it now... :(

So it's time for an update! 8)

First off, I picked up two new corals over the 4th of July Weekend...

Purple and Green Stylophora:
DSC05731.jpg

Second, I acquired a gorgeous green and purple hammer coral from my brother. It had become too large for his 6 gallon and was stinging his other corals, so we made a swap...

DSC05742.jpg

Most recently, I got a BUNCH of new corals from a local reefer. I'm happy to say that all of the corals look nice and happy in their new home! :D

Orange-Green Mushrooms:
DSC05732.jpg

Green Yumas:
DSC05735.jpg

Green Mushroom:
DSC05734.jpg

Zoas and Clove Polyps:
DSC05736.jpg

More Zoas:
DSC05741.jpg

Ring of Fire Zoas:
DSC05740.jpg

Green Palys:
DSC05745.jpg

Cinnamon Paly:
DSC05738.jpg

Green Birdsnest (the one on the left might not pull through, but it's looking a bit better since I took this picture):
DSC05733.jpg

Back