Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Glad to see that Harry is still doing well! Your corals look great too.

Thanks, Biff! Yeah, for a while I thought Harry was traumatized from the move to the 50 gallon and was going to spend the rest of his life circling my Koralia. But, he recovered! However, he still has a curiosity and fondness for the wavemakers and return output as you can see in the pic. ;-)

Everything looks great, I like the shot of the goby hanging out on the candy canes. How long have you had the leopard wrasse? I've been searching for one for months

Everything looks great, I like the shot of the goby hanging out on the candy canes. How long have you had the leopard wrasse? I've been searching for one for months

Thanks, Brian! Yeah, my goby loves to perch on top of the candy cane coral; it's his new favorite spot lately. :sfish: I think I've had the leopard wrasse for almost 6 months now. Good luck on your hunt for one! They are great fish!!

Visited the LFSs today! :^: And, got NEW STUFF!! :mrgreen: 3 New Fish Additions: 1 Tail Spot Blenny and 2 Naked Clowns! WHOOP!! :bounce:

They're dripping right now...
DSC03289.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

Better pics to come! ;)

Pictures Around the Reef! :sfish:

Junior the Cleaner Shrimp:
DSC03241.jpg

Favia w/ Sweeper Tentacles Extended:
DSC03279.jpg

Blue/Green Acro:
DSC03136.jpg

Orange Bam Bams
DSC03256.jpg

Goby Getting His Mouth Cleaned by Junior
DSC03365.jpg

Harry
DSC03338.jpg

The water is finally clearing up. The corals seem "OK"; hopefully they'll pull through. Harry (my leopard wrasse) and Chip (my starfish) seem fine; I haven't seen my watchman goby or my cleaner shrimp, though... :sad: I thought I had the LR aquascaped nice and sturdy; however, I was heading off to bed and checking the tank one last time, when I saw that a LR piece had toppled downhill - Luckily it didn't land on any of the corals!! :faint: Hopefully everything stays safe through the night...

Here's an updated FTS pic:
(All of the corals in the sandbed near the perimeter of the tank are the ones that I knocked off the LR while aquascaping...Whoops!:chair:)
DSC02990.jpg

I still have the Penguin Filter running. And, the egg crate top is makeshift from scraps I had laying around; I'm going to cut a new piece to fit the 50 gallon tomorrow.

Still a lot of work cut out for tomorrow. I didn't realize what an adventure this was going to be...:helm2:
Congrats Samantha your new tank looks amazing, it's so exciting setting up a new tank and waiting until it all clears, cant wait to see it complete

Allen

Congrats Samantha your new tank looks amazing, it's so exciting setting up a new tank and waiting until it all clears, cant wait to see it complete

Allen

Thanks, Allen!

Unfortunately...bad news. My new Tail Spot Blenny disappeared yesterday (he didn't come out for dinnertime - I haven't seen him since yesterday morning). He was doing really well, so I don't know what would have happened to him. :dunno: He was eating really well, and he got along with all of the other fish (typically blennies hide in rocks, but this little guy swam around exploring the tank all day and none of the other fish paid any attention to him). He was kinda small though, and I'm worried that maybe an emerald crab got him...? I don't know why else the blenny would just vanish...

Thanks, Allen!

Unfortunately...bad news. My new Tail Spot Blenny disappeared yesterday (he didn't come out for dinnertime - I haven't seen him since yesterday morning). He was doing really well, so I don't know what would have happened to him. :dunno: He was eating really well, and he got along with all of the other fish (typically blennies hide in rocks, but this little guy swam around exploring the tank all day and none of the other fish paid any attention to him). He was kinda small though, and I'm worried that maybe an emerald crab got him...? I don't know why else the blenny would just vanish...

I shouldn't worry yet, one of my fire fish hid for days and where did I find him, in the weir, have you looked there?

I shouldn't worry yet, one of my fire fish hid for days and where did I find him, in the weir, have you looked there?

Yes, I've checked the overflow. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the little blenny is gone. Totally bumming because he was the cutest little fish with a really nice personality...

Update:

Okay guys, I'm freaking out here! :faint: I came home today to find my two new (bought them 2 weeks ago) naked clownfish covered in black spots. I immediately thought they got a disease, but then I started reading online about hyper-melanization.

Here are pics of my fish:

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03453.jpg

What do you all think?! :confused:

-Turns out, it was hyper-melanization. The clownfish changed their hosting spot to my montipora a couple of weeks ago, and now all of the spots are gone. And, they look pretty cute hosting the monti. ;)

Other News:

-The mystery of the missing blenny has been solved. He jumped and landed behind the power surge...:death:

Back