Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Here are some pics of the riccordeas that I bought the other day. :sfish:

(the big green couple in the center are old, but the rest are new)
DSC03878.jpg

Close-ups of the newbies:
DSC03867.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

very nice chalice :) i have a colony similar to that does your chalice have large feeder tentacles on the green heads ?

Thanks! I haven't noticed any large feeder tentacles, but I've only had it for a couple of days now. I haven't tried spot feeding it. Should I? Do chalices need any special treatment? :question:

tank looks great! what lfs do you use samantha? i just went to the marine warehouse aquarium on hillsborough, sat, seemed to be a nice store, any feedback?

Thanks, Curtis! Mostly I go to Coral Corral and FAOIS (Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff) which are both in Oldsmar just a little further than Marine Warehouse. I like Marine Warehouse as well, but I prefer the two aforementioned LFS because they tended to have a larger selection and better prices. IMHO, Coral Corral has the best prices on non-coral inverts, and FAOIS has the best/healthiest fish and the best deal on coral frags. But I like to try to visit all three stores since they are kind of close to one another so that I can check everything out. However, I haven't been to MW in quite a few months though, so I probably need to go see what they have. ;)

BUT, the rics and chalice that I just got are actually from a fellow reefer in Lutz named Doug Drysdale. He runs a small coral frag business out of his house called Drysdale Aquarium Inc. You can find his business page on Facebook and check out his stuff. He's a nice guy and he sells a lot of nice stuff. My only complaints are that some of the frags that I've gotten from him have had hair algae, bubble algae, and other gunk growing on them, so just be careful of that if you go over there.

Those are really the main places that I check out. I've been to Rockin' Reef once and loved it as well. You can also check Craigslist and the Tampa Bay Reef Club webpage for stuff. A number of my corals came from a guy that I found on CL this past summer who was breaking down his tank. Hope this has been helpful, and good luck in your reefing adventures! :Cheers:

Thanks! I haven't noticed any large feeder tentacles, but I've only had it for a couple of days now. I haven't tried spot feeding it. Should I? Do chalices need any special treatment? :question:

Thanks, Curtis! Mostly I go to Coral Corral and FAOIS (Fish and Other Ichthy Stuff) which are both in Oldsmar just a little further than Marine Warehouse. I like Marine Warehouse as well, but I prefer the two aforementioned LFS because they tended to have a larger selection and better prices. IMHO, Coral Corral has the best prices on non-coral inverts, and FAOIS has the best/healthiest fish and the best deal on coral frags. But I like to try to visit all three stores since they are kind of close to one another so that I can check everything out. However, I haven't been to MW in quite a few months though, so I probably need to go see what they have. ;)

BUT, the rics and chalice that I just got are actually from a fellow reefer in Lutz named Doug Drysdale. He runs a small coral frag business out of his house called Drysdale Aquarium Inc. You can find his business page on Facebook and check out his stuff. He's a nice guy and he sells a lot of nice stuff. My only complaints are that some of the frags that I've gotten from him have had hair algae, bubble algae, and other gunk growing on them, so just be careful of that if you go over there.

Those are really the main places that I check out. I've been to Rockin' Reef once and loved it as well. You can also check Craigslist and the Tampa Bay Reef Club webpage for stuff. A number of my corals came from a guy that I found on CL this past summer who was breaking down his tank. Hope this has been helpful, and good luck in your reefing adventures! :Cheers:

thanks! im still planning my tank but am very close to starting to piece it together! i wish i woulda known about the other stores i woulda stopped by them! :frustrat: o well.. thanks for the input!

thanks! im still planning my tank but am very close to starting to piece it together! i wish i woulda known about the other stores i woulda stopped by them! :frustrat: o well.. thanks for the input!

It's good that you are taking it slow. I jumped into things with a Biocube 14 about a year and a half ago, and I made lots of really stupid mistakes. For instance, I actually purposely bought LR covered in hair algae because I thought my snails needed food. :frustrat: Needless to say, I ended up having to shut the BC14 down.

Definitely head out to Oldsmar and check those stores out though. Going to Coral Corral is like visiting the aquarium! They have a HUGE display tank stocked with GORGEOUS corals, they have cool things like sharks and jellyfish, and now they switched to LED lighting so everything is that much prettier. :mrgreen:

It's good that you are taking it slow. I jumped into things with a Biocube 14 about a year and a half ago, and I made lots of really stupid mistakes. For instance, I actually purposely bought LR covered in hair algae because I thought my snails needed food. :frustrat: Needless to say, I ended up having to shut the BC14 down.

Definitely head out to Oldsmar and check those stores out though. Going to Coral Corral is like visiting the aquarium! They have a HUGE display tank stocked with GORGEOUS corals, they have cool things like sharks and jellyfish, and now they switched to LED lighting so everything is that much prettier. :mrgreen:

geeze after looking up those stores i know exactly where they are. oldsmar is a pretty healthy marine aquarium hobbiest super area lol. thanks again for the pointers!

geeze after looking up those stores i know exactly where they are. oldsmar is a pretty healthy marine aquarium hobbiest super area lol. thanks again for the pointers!

Yeah, it would be dangerous if I lived in Oldsmar. :shock: The long drive keeps me, my wallet, and my aquariums in check. ;) And, no problem. Glad to help!

Samantha,

Does Harry behave himself with all of your shrimp? I really like the Leopard Wrasse and would love to get one.

Charlie

Samantha,

Does Harry behave himself with all of your shrimp? I really like the Leopard Wrasse and would love to get one.

Charlie

Yeah, Harry doesn't pick on anyone. He just does laps around the aquarium all day looking for pods on the LR. He picked on the 2 clowns when I first added them, but after a day of bullying them he was done. He's never bullied any other fish though, and he's never gone after any of my shrimp. I love Harry; he's a great fish. I don't think you'd have a problem with one. If you do decide to get one, just make sure that it is eating first. I had a hard time getting Harry to eat when I first got him, and it's a common problem with leopard wrasses.

A Really Bad Day...

I got back from a week vacation this past Saturday evening (and everything had survived my absence!), and planned to do my normal water change Sunday morning (yesterday). Yesterday before the WC, I removed a plastic fish breeder that I had left sitting in my tank for 2 weeks with a riccordea tied to a frag plug. I pulled the ric out (that was now attached to the plug) and glued it in place on the LR, and then did an 8 gallon WC just like normal. Everything seemed fine...

40 minutes later or so, I walked by the tank and everything had gone to hell. I immediately began checking temp, pH, anything I could think of. It turned out that the ammonia had risen to 0.5. I freaked and started mixing salt to start another water change. Not a single coral polyp was extended, all of the soft corals were shriveled, and the fish, shrimp, starfish, and other inverts were going crazy. The only thing that I could think of was that ammonia had gotten trapped under the fish breeder and built up over the past couple of weeks, and that when I removed the breeder the ammonia got released into the system...

I ended up changing out about 10 gallons or so in addition to the initial 8 gallon WC, and then the ammonia was finally at zero again.

Needless to say, a meltdown on my behalf followed yesterday evening. This hobby has a way of recurrently making you feel like a complete failure...

I've woken up today to skeletons. I'm still hoping that some of the corals will make it, but right now 90% of the SPS and half of the LPS look bleached. And, out of all of my zoas, only three polyps of one single frag are slightly open. It looks like my shrimp population and non-coral invert population has declined significantly as well.

Out of this disaster, I am grateful that all four of my fish seem fine today. I expect that by the end of the day I will have a lot of coral skeletons to remove, and that I will need to go buy a new CUC sometime this week. I just hope that the worst is over and that Goby, Harry, Sydney, and Sean can continue to pull through this...

Oh no! That's terrible to hear! Your tank was so stunning. Things may not be as bad as they appear right now, though. Corals can look terrible, but still come back. Earlier last year, I lost nearly half the corals in my tank (and all my inverts) to a kalk overdose. I felt like you did -- completely broken. But you can get through it, and your tank will come back looking better than ever! Please hang in there, and I hope your fish are okay.

I'm sorry Samantha but remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (or leads to suicide). Don't know what caused it and most of the time no one does. You'll get things back better than before. Stay strong.

Back