Samantha's 50 Gallon Reef Aquarium

Thanks everyone for your condolences. With everything dying the ammonia looked like it was rising a bit again, so I just finished changing out another 6 gallons...

I just bought a new CUC to replace the snails, crabs, shrimp, etc. that died. Some of the corals are starting to look a little better. A few of the zoas are opening slightly, and a few of the acros and other corals have extended a few of their polyps. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I just bought a new CUC to replace the snails, crabs, shrimp, etc. that died. Some of the corals are starting to look a little better. A few of the zoas are opening slightly, and a few of the acros and other corals have extended a few of their polyps. Keeping my fingers crossed...

good luck!! i hope everything pops back to life for you!

...Things may not be as bad as they appear right now, though. Corals can look terrible, but still come back...

It’s been 3 weeks since my ammonia spiked, and you were right, Biff. Pretty much all of the corals are coming back! I am really surprised and grateful. The frogspawns seem to have taken the ammonia spike the worse. One completely died, and the other one doesn’t look so hot right now. While many of the corals looked completely bleached and had turned a ghostly shade of white, most of them are getting their colors back now and are extending their polyps again. :sfish:

Here are some pics of the corals during the week or so after the ammonia spike (The BAD pictures):

Pic of my “green” monti a few days after the spike. (This week it is finally now expanding its polyps and getting some color back...)
DSC04165.jpg

Pic of my birdsnest a few days after the spike (It’s polyps are expanding now and it’s gotten most of its color back. However, a few branches did bleach):
DSC04168.jpg

Pic of some of the acros a few days after the spike (they now are almost looking back to normal! :) They have recovered nicely):
DSC04126.jpg

The bi-color frogspawn (not looking so good...may not make it...):
DSC04128.jpg

This frogspawn died since this picture was taken:
DSC04164.jpg

My pissed off leather coral after the spike (it now is perky and happy again :mrgreen:):
DSC04155.jpg

The other “green” monti a few days after the spike (it now is starting to turn green again! YAY!):
DSC04131.jpg

A pitiful galaxea (it’s still not looking so good, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed...):
DSC04154.jpg

Some of the zoas/palys after the spike:
DSC04127.jpg

Last edited:
How the corals/inverts are looking now (The Resurrection of the Reef):

Devil’s Armor:
DSC04173.jpg

Candy Coral:
DSC04175.jpg

Feather Duster:
DSC04184.jpg

Chalice:
DSC04185.jpg

Pocilloporas:
DSC04186.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

Acros:
DSC04192.jpg

DSC04191.jpg

Zoas:
DSC04204.jpg

A Random Pod:
DSC04299.jpg

New Additions to the CUC (5 olives and 2 conchs):
DSC04203.jpg

My new starfish Chad:
DSC04200.jpg

Last edited:
Interestingly, a few of the corals are coming back with different color hues. Is this common after an ammonia spike? Will they eventually go back to the colors that they were before the ammonia spike? Two of my zoa frags look almost like different species altogether now. And, some of my corals have come back with intenser hues.

Pictures of the zoas that have color-morphed:

Zoas:
Before-
DSC03660.jpg

After-
DSC04176.jpg

Zoas that I think I’m now gonna call “Samantha’s Radioactive Raspberries” ;):
Before-
DSC03121.jpg

After-
DSC04171.jpg

Last edited:
Hope they all regain their colors again. I wish you the best of luck! By the looks of it, it seems like the tank is starting to make a comeback! Let's hope it fully recovers!

Wow! what a thread. I just read the thread for the 1 st time and I am blown away at your tank! Its just awesome and then something as simple as moving a plastic breeder can do that to a 50 gal .tank? Scary to me because I am a newbie with a 28 bio cube. I could just imagine how easy it could happen in smaller tank! So sorry for your set back but i am glad it is coming back and I'm sure you will have it breath taking once again.

Wow! what a thread. I just read the thread for the 1 st time and I am blown away at your tank! Its just awesome and then something as simple as moving a plastic breeder can do that to a 50 gal .tank? Scary to me because I am a newbie with a 28 bio cube. I could just imagine how easy it could happen in smaller tank! So sorry for your set back but i am glad it is coming back and I'm sure you will have it breath taking once again.

Thank you! And, it is scary that something that seems so trivial like removing a fish breeder from the tank could cause such a disaster. And, for all I know, maybe it wasn't even the fish breeder that was the culprit. Since the ammonia spike, I now am EXTRA cautious about everything. I moved the salt bucket that I use from the laundry room to the pantry (since the laundry room is so humid), I bought separate measuring cups and towels for aquarium maintenance, I test my water more regularly, I've made my WC process more efficient, etc. It's better to be safe than sorry. Luckily things seem to be coming back, though.

Last edited:
Here are some current tank shots taken this weekend:

FTS:
DSC04337.jpg

Left Side:
DSC04338.jpg

Right Side:
DSC04339.jpg

Plus, a new sticker that I stuck on my sump (but it applies to the whole set-up!) I couldn't resist! :razz:
DSC04324.jpg

I also moved my riccordeas from the top of my tank to the middle. I think they were getting too much light. They still don't seem big and happy and swollen, though. Where is the best spot to place them??
DSC04313.jpg

Beautiful FTS shot, Samantha. As far as the ricoderas go, check and see if they do better being at the middle. If they seem to do fine than keep them there by all means. If not, just try situating them a bit lower in the tank. I really would love to see your corals bounce back after the mishap that happpened. You have a beautiful aquascape!

Nice sticker by the way :)

Mine are happiest on the bottom. But I have MH... I can't remember if you do, too.

Thanks Aquatic and Erin for the ricc placement suggestions. I'm not running MH; I'm running six 39-watt T5s (234watts total). I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if they become happier at the middle of the tank, and then if not I'll move them to the bottom...

Thanks Aquatic and Erin for the ricc placement suggestions. I'm not running MH; I'm running six 39-watt T5s (234watts total). I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and see if they become happier at the middle of the tank, and then if not I'll move them to the bottom...

Sounds good. Don't forget to give us the update later on and tell us how they're doing. I love rics so I really hope yours thrive.

Back