Samantha's Biocube 14 (Reborn)

Okay, FINALLY! New pics! ;)

First, I added two corals that weren't doing so well in my 50 gallon. We'll see if they perk up in the Biocube...

Will's Fire Ball Zoas:
DSC03473.jpg

Candy Coral:
DSC03469.jpg

I also bought a frogspawn a couple of weeks ago:
DSC03457.jpg

And here are 2 pics of the new green clown goby...
DSC03454.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

The Eagle Eye Zoas have doubled in the past 2 months:
DSC03475.jpg

Here's a pic of the ORA Miami Orchid acro frag
(it seems to be doing okay in the Biocube; it has browned in color some, but still looks pretty good...)
DSC03465.jpg

FTS:
(You can kind of see the clown goby hiding in the frogspawn. It's his "spot" in the tank) :sfish:
DSC03456.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, time for some updates...

Bad/Good News:
Well, as some of you all know, I've been battling green hair algae and red slime in the Biocube for the past month. I had let the WCs go for too long, and things just got kinda nasty. BUT, I'm happy to say that thanks to extra WCs, Algaefix, Red Slime Remover, and my new CUC of 4 margaritas, 1 mexican turbo, and a couple hermit crabs the Biocube has really cleaned up! I originally shut down this same Biocube a little over a year ago because of the gha that took over the WHOLE tank, and I'm very thankful that it looks like I might actually prevail over the algae this time. Unfortunately some of the corals don't look like they're going to make it (the water parameters got out of hand in the algae disaster), and the little clown goby died (I think his problem was that he just didn't eat like he should have, though...)

Good News:
Since the Biocube is looking better now, I bought some new frags for the tank. I got a nice 2 for $5 deal on some zoas at an LFS over the Thanksgiving holidays, and I was going to post pics BUT...

Bad News:
Winter finally arrived here in Florida, and today was the first day that it went down into the 30s. I don't know what happened, but my heater in the Biocube kicked into overdrive...SERIOUS OVERDRIVE...and the tank was at 90 degrees all of today while I was at school. I'm currently bringing the temp back down with some ice. The sergeant major, peppermint shrimp, and most of the snails, crabs, and old corals look okay, but my new zoas are all closed up...:-(

Hopefully things will pull through...

Most of the corals have died now between the algae war and the heater disaster. I lost the acro, 2/3rds of the zoas (including the new ones :grumble:), the candy coral, and the monti is just about to bite it as well. The frogspawn is the only one that still looks pretty darn good considering what it's been through.

Yesterday, Ricky (my sergeant major) was adopted by a nice guy in the area. I posted Ricky on CL because I'm considering making the Biocube a mandarin/goby tank, and Ricky would have bullied them. I'm going to miss the little guy, though. :bye2: But, I wish Ricky the best in his new 90 gallon home! :Cheers:

I'll try to post some pics after I get the LR aquascaping looking decent again. I had to take all of the LR out to catch Ricky...

This thread is in need of an update! :mrgreen:

Okay, well now that the hair algae and red slime are gone and the faulty heater has been replaced, everything has been running smoothly. With Ricky gone, the boss of the tank for the last month or so has just been a single peppermint shrimp. :rofl: I'm hoping to find a mandarin or goby to add soon, though.

Here's the shrimp!
DSC04276.jpg

Here are some pics of the zoas (the only corals in the tank right now):

Orange/Brown Zoas -
DSC04250.jpg

Green Zoas -
DSC04246.jpg

Eagle Eyes maybe? -
DSC04291.jpg

I love these zoas-
DSC04260.jpg

Lil' Green Dude -
DSC04256.jpg

This zoa is gorgeous but the Biocube ligting doesn't do it justice unfortunately. (the bubble algae has been taken care of ;)) -
DSC03667.jpg

Some CT pink zoas that are making a comeback -
DSC04332.jpg

Purple-Hearted Red Ring Zoas (but they've lost their color...) -
DSC04281.jpg

Devil's Armor that I fragged from my 50 Gallon:
DSC04307.jpg

Looking good buddy! Im looking forward to it really taking on some colors, btw, love the frogspawn!! :D

Thanks! Sadly, the frogspawn didn't survive the heater frying the tank incident. It was a good looking frogspawn though...

All that's left are zoas. I'd like to get another frogspawn, though, now that things are under control again.

Here are a couple FTS:

DSC04270.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

I aquascaped my koralia into the LR, but I'm not sure this is the smartest idea when it comes to having to clean or maintenance the koralia (especially once coral is growing all over the LR). What do you all think? Has anyone hid their koralia into their aquascaping before with success? Should I move the koralia back to the wall? :question: Thanks.

Here are a couple FTS:

DSC04270.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

I aquascaped my koralia into the LR, but I'm not sure this is the smartest idea when it comes to having to clean or maintenance the koralia (especially once coral is growing all over the LR). What do you all think? Has anyone hid their koralia into their aquascaping before with success? Should I move the koralia back to the wall? :question: Thanks.

You can move the Koralia if you want but seeing the way how your LR is stacked, I don't think it would be much of a problem to move that small rock on top of it if you needed to do some maintinance. I love your tank thread so far and read through all the pages. Sorry about your mandarin, goby, heater mishap. I hope all of your Zoa's start spreading like crazy! It's a beautiful tank. You should feel proud of yourself by taking the measures to battle the algae problem that you had before.

Good for you!

A new LFS opened up near my house this weekend (nearer than Oldsmar that is...). Anyway, I was hoping to find a nice lil' fish for the Biocube, but instead came home with this guy... :mrgreen:

DSC04369.jpg

Maybe next weekend I'll finally find a fish to keep the CUC company...? :lol:

Emerald crabs are pretty awesome! That's all I had for a CUC when I had my first tank........wished I would have known more and got some snails too.

Time for an update! :sfish:

Here are some of the new frags I've added over the past few months:

Daisy Polyps:
DSC04668.jpg

Xenia:
DSC04644.jpg

Lil' Red Mushroom (still trying to get it to attach):
DSC04631.jpg

Okay, so I have good and bad news...

The bad news is that I shut down the Biocube. But this time I'm happy to say it wasn't because of losing a battle with hair algae. Instead I shut it down because...

Good news! I'm upgrading!!! :^: I bought a 47 gallon aquarium and plan to do a macroalgae dt! :sfish:

Over the weekend I moved the corals from the BC14 to my 50 gallon and used the LR from the BC14 for the new 47 gallon. Keep your eyes peeled for a new 47 gallon tank showcase thread coming soon! :mrgreen:

Back