Samhain's 50 Gallon Long Reef

What all are you using for this set up? I have a long 45 that has freshwater fish in it but i have such a desire to turn that sucker into a salty. <3

What all are you using for this set up? I have a long 45 that has freshwater fish in it but i have such a desire to turn that sucker into a salty. <3

Mine's a fairly simple setup. 50 lbs LR, 60 lbs LS, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer, 2200 gph powerhead (I may change this out for 2 smaller powerheads, since this one is creating massive sand dunes in the tank), and Marineland Reef Ready 48" lighting. No sump or refugium, although I'm probably going to add a HOB fuge in the future when I start culturing pods, but that's a long while in the future.

As for corals, I just have a Duncan for now. My future plans are for mostly zoas, rics, LPS, and a leather. I have one spot that I would like to try an SPS, but I'm waiting on that until I'm done adding fish and all my levels are fairly stable.

Fish at this time are just a Royal Gramma and a 6 Line Wrasse. I'm planning on adding a Flaming Prawn Goby, a Tailspot Blenny, a Flame Angel (keeping it only if it isn't nomming my corals), and an Ocellaris in that order.

.Flame Angel (keeping it only if it isn't nomming my corals), and an Ocellaris in that order.
Go with the coral beauty. Lovely fish and wont chew on your corals <3
Love mine.
How long did you run the tank before you started adding things?
Im wondering because this tank can only be empty so long before i lose my mind. Plus i want to trade tanks from the 29 to the long 45

Go with the coral beauty. Lovely fish and wont chew on your corals <3
Love mine.
How long did you run the tank before you started adding things?
Im wondering because this tank can only be empty so long before i lose my mind. Plus i want to trade tanks from the 29 to the long 45

I've heard they're both about 50/50 on coral nomming, and my hubby prefers the Flame. Of course, he also wants me to add a lobster and a shark, which aren't happening. If it noms the corals, I'll try exchanging it for a CB.

I ran my tank for about 5-6 weeks, until my nitrates were at about 15. Since I ordered my rock online, I had a very large die off, and had no need to toss in a shrimp to get the cycle started. Then I added CUC, fish and coral all together.

Oh the woes of a volatile new tank! I managed to get the cyano and hair algae under control. Cyano is gone, and the hair algae has died back a good bit. I have my lights on a timer now, and all my levels are checking out again. With the cyano die-off, I had another nitrate spike, but it's better now. I'm feeding once every 3 days, and I'll be switching to rod's food whenever I get up to Atlanta (probably next week).

So my current woes consist of super-cloudy water. It was fairly clear when I turned the lights on again, but this morning it was cloudy as can be. I'm assuming it's bacterial and related to turning the lights back on, since it occured so quickly afterwards. Nothing in the tank is seeming to be bothered by it, so I'm just dealing until it resolves itself or my #s start looking funny. Pics from today!

Attachments

• IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 270
Its an algae/bacteria bloom responding the surplus of nutrients from the algae and cyano dying off. I would consider doing a small water change so that you can remove them before they die and release their nutrients to feed algae again. But they shouldnt hurt anything

I've actually already got water mixed up for a change tomorrow! That's become my go-to quick solution to anything amiss in my tank. Then I look to fix the source of the problem. Kind of like Tylenol and antibiotics! Tylenol fixes the fever, antibiotics fix the infection causing the fever. Not that I'm dosing my tank with either! Just a nursing reference.....

Checked out your thread bc your using the marineland leds like me and Sarah. Can't wait to see your tanks progress! Looking great!

Ok, so I'm foregoing the FPG for now. Really hard to get one, no one has them in stock, and they're a rather expensive fish for a beginner. That being said, I went out and got a pair of clowns and an elegance frag. I'm waiting on the blenny until I'm absolutely sure that I want it. I'm actually leaning more towards a pink Coral Croucher (yeah, Cutest Fish EVA), and I'll add the Flame Angel last. Everything else is going to be smaller than the angel for a while, and I don't want anything getting picked on.

Anyway, pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 234
Ok, so I'm foregoing the FPG for now. Really hard to get one, no one has them in stock, and they're a rather expensive fish for a beginner. That being said, I went out and got a pair of clowns and an elegance frag. I'm waiting on the blenny until I'm absolutely sure that I want it. I'm actually leaning more towards a pink Coral Croucher (yeah, Cutest Fish EVA), and I'll add the Flame Angel last. Everything else is going to be smaller than the angel for a while, and I don't want anything getting picked on.

Anyway, pics!

I though angel fish needed a large tank? Don't you only have like a 50-55 gal? I might have missed something but still trying to learn what goes well in what tank. I'm thinking a few clowns, probably a pair, and this other thing I don't remember what it was called with the three mollys I have that I am going to try to move over to salt water when I get everything set up.

They look great!
And I really hope you get that coral croucher, I love him!
And Moncapitane, you should start your own build thread :)

I though angel fish needed a large tank? Don't you only have like a 50-55 gal? I might have missed something but still trying to learn what goes well in what tank. I'm thinking a few clowns, probably a pair, and this other thing I don't remember what it was called with the three mollys I have that I am going to try to move over to salt water when I get everything set up.

There are dwarf angel fish that do well in tanks as small as 30 gals, but once you get out of the dwarfs, then you are looking at them needing huge tanks. I think the smallest is 120 gallons, but most are 300+

The Flame Angel and Coral Beauty are both dwarf angels that do just fine in smaller tanks. Anything other than a dwarf angel needs a giant tank, which I want to have some day, but not just yet! And the Angels should have plenty of lateral swimming room, since my tank is a long (48" wide x 13" deep x 18" tall).

As to clowns, pick your species and get a pair of them max. Unless your tank is enormous, for the most part, clowns will fight with each other. If you get adults that are already paired, or a pair of juveniles that will have time to pair up, they shouldn't fight, but other than that, you may have mortal combat on your hands! And the various species of clowns will fight too. I think the only real exception to that is the pink skunk clown, which can be a lot more peaceful than the rest of the clown family. But even they have their tiffs on occasion. Good luck!

For the next little while I'm doing every other day water changes until my biofilter can catch up with the increased workload. I think my next addition is going to consist of inverts only. Pom pom crab, cleaner shrimp, and a couple corals. I think I have enough fish for the next few months. Unless the Cutest Fish EVA shows up in the Diver's Den. Then I might make and exception.....

Here's what I think may be the last few pics of Saffron. Very sad.
DeerandFish10-11041.jpg

DeerandFish10-11039.jpg

And here's my tank last night and today

Nemo and Coral
DeerandFish10-11042.jpg

DeerandFish10-11043.jpg

My new Elegance
DeerandFish10-11044.jpg

DeerandFish10-11059.jpg

My new GSP
DeerandFish10-11057.jpg

DeerandFish10-11048.jpg